Phi Kappa Phi hosts book drive for elementary students

The Mississippi State University chapter of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society is hosting a book drive in support of third- and fourth-grade students at Henderson-Ward Stewart Elementary School in Starkville.
Phi Kappa Phi welcomes all donations of new and used books aimed toward the third- and fourth-grade reading level. Any children’s genre is welcome.
Collection boxes are located on campus in Thompson Hall, Giles Hall, Magruder Hall and McCain Hall. Boxes are also located off campus at Mugshots, Vowels, Copy Cow, Sweet Peppers Deli and the Starkville Sportsplex.
While books are being donated, students at Henderson-Ward are collecting “book bucks” created by Phi Kappa Phi to reward reading and positive behavior.
While the book drive ends on March 29, members of Phi Kappa Phi will prepare to host a Book Bonanza on April 5 where students can buy donated books with their book bucks.
Victoria Daniels, Phi Kappa Phi vice president, said she is excited about this opportunity to give back to Starkville.
“I really want to be able to volunteer and do something for the community, and not just say I’m part of an honors society,” Daniels said.
Fond of reading, Daniels said books are a wonderful gift for young students.
“I love reading, and so I think this is one of the greatest things you could give a student,” Daniels said. “So, I was definitely really excited when we decided to do this book drive.”
Lauren Whitmire, public relations officer of Phi Kappa Phi, said she hopes the Book Bonanza will help better prepare third-grade students for their reading exam they must pass in order to advance to the fourth-grade.
“We really want to focus on improving literacy of the third-grade students in Starkville,” Whitmire said.
Whitmire said this project is a major way their chapter is getting involved in the Starkville community.