Charity event to support St. Jude

Mississippi State University’s Appalachian Leadership Honors Program members are encouraging students to write letters to St. Jude for the Up ’til Dawn campaign today from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Colvard Student Union.
    ALHP students are required to complete a capstone project in their final semester at MSU. Lauren McKee, senior marketing major, and Vincent Stephens, senior biological sciences major, saw an opportunity to bring the campus together while also raising funds and awareness for cancer research.
    Up ’til Dawn is a letter writing campaign that has been going on for 10 years across the country. Students merely bring in names and addresses and fill out the pre-written letters and postage paid envelopes provided by St. Jude.
    It is then up to the recipients of these letters to decide whether or not they want to contribute to St. Jude.
    McKee and Stephens said they saw Up ’til Dawn had never been done at a MSU and decided to use it not only as a fundraiser for St. Jude, but as a way to bring our campus together.
    “There are so many children with cancer who will never have the chance [to go to college] because of this terminal illness and we want to grant them this wish,” Stephens said.
    There is a board of student leaders helping to oversee the project that represent nine different aspects of campus, including the Appalachian Leadership group, Student Association, Panhellenic, Residence Hall Association, Campus Activity Board, Interfraternity Council, Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, Service Dawgs and Rick’s Rowdies.
    Because of such broad involvement, the event has been able to garner many entertainment options for students who attend.
    Students who come and fill out letters and addresses (they encourage students to bring at least five, but there is no minimum) will receive a wristband. This wristband entitles them to participate in a variety of events. Lab Rats will perform two shows for students at the event.
    Ben Wilcox, freshman aerospace engineering major, said he loves going to Lab Rat shows and is glad to see them participating in this fundraising campaign.
    “Being from the Memphis area, St. Jude has always been a very familiar institution and it is really good to know that our student body cares about this organization and wants to support it,” he said.
    There will be a room in which students can drink “mocktails” and free food will also be provided. A step show style competition will be put on by the Greeks in the ballroom.
    Students will also be able to take pictures with athletes, the Egg Bowl trophy and Bully during the event. There will be a game room for students to play board games with other students at the event.
    McKee said St. Jude requires $1.5 million to operate every day, and they provide for the families of patients during their stay in Memphis, Tenn.
    “Parents don’t have to worry about anything,” McKee said, “His is a truly inspiring organization that is trying to make a difference.”