Bulldogs hire new defensive coordinator

This fall, Mississippi State’s defense will have a new defensive coordinator for the fourth time in four years. 

It was announced Wednesday morning that MSU is replacing now, former defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon with Todd Grantham, who has held the same title at Louisville since 2014. 

Head football coach Dan Mullen spoke highly of Grantham Wednesday afternoon. 

“Todd has proven to be one of the best defensive coordinators in the country this decade,” Mullen said. “He understands what it takes to build a physical and aggressive defense at the highest of levels. We are excited to welcome he and his family to Starkville.”

It was also announced Wednesday morning that Sirmon would be replacing Grantham at Louisville. 

The change was made after MSU’s defense had an abysmal season.

MSU ranked 110th last season in total defense, giving up 459.1 yards a game. They also ranked 93rd in scoring defense, giving up 31.8 points a game. 

Grantham, who is from Pulaski, Virginia, has 10 years of defensive coordinator experience under his belt, including three years at the Cleveland Browns (2005-2007).

However, this will not be his first time in the SEC. Grantham held the defensive coordinator title at Georgia (2010-2013) for four years before going to Louisville in 2014, where he coached from 2014 to 2016. 

Last year at Louisville, Grantham led the Cardinals to the 12th ranked run defense in the country, giving up just 115.2 yards a game. They also ranked 14th in total defense last season, giving up just 322.2 yards a game. 

At the college level, Grantham’s defenses have finished in the top 20 in either scoring or total defense in five of his seven years.

Grantham has an impressive resume, having coached under legendary coaches Nick Saban and Frank Beamer, and the great defensive mind of Wade Phillips.

Grantham said he is excited to work for Mullen and MSU.

“When the opportunity to be part of Dan Mullen’s staff presented itself, it was something my family and I became very excited about,” Grantham said. “Coach Mullen has built a winning program in the most challenging conference in the country. Along with our staff, I look forward to re-establishing the Bulldog defense as one of the top defenses in the country and making the fans of Mississippi State proud.” 

Come this fall, Mullen will be coaching his ninth season and this will be the seventh time Mullen hired a new defensive coordinator in the offseason. The last time MSU had a defensive coordinator for consecutive seasons being the 2013-14 season, when Geoff Collins had the job.