MSU volleyball takes on Georgia at Breast Cancer Awareness game

It was a full arena when Mississippi State University volleyball (9-14, 0-8 SEC) took on Georgia (13-8, 3-5 SEC), as the players and half the crowd wore pink for breast cancer awareness month.

“It’s really important to us to support the pink and breast cancer awareness, and we took pride in that,” junior setter Morgan Kath said. “We had a lot of pink, and we just wanted to come out and show our support for everyone.”

Head coach David McFatrich said it is important for the team and coaches to show their support for breast cancer awareness month through pink uniforms and the pink ribbons the coaches wore. 

“The pink out is for breast cancer research, and we take part in it every year,” McFatrich said. “I wish we could do more, but we’re glad we can use at least one game a year where we can bring attention to that horrible problem. Hopefully, one of these days, everyone’s efforts will allow us to find a cure for it.”

It was a rough day on the court—MSU lost three straight sets and was swept at home by Georgia, who dominated the game. McFatrich believes the reason for the defeat was a lack of ability to execute.

“We’ve been taking two steps forward and one step back, and today it didn’t feel like that,” McFatrich said. “We passed the ball well, we just could not put the ball away. We had too many bad misses today.”

With 10 games left in the season, there are still issues the team needs to work through. Kath said she believes they can really improve.

“I think just making adjustments faster is important. We were a little slow at that today, making the right adjustments when we need to,” Kath said. “Moving forward, especially going into this week and weekend, we just need to make sure we are making adjustments faster—playing hard and working really hard.”