Students begin to prepare for finals

With exams right around the corner, students at Mississippi State University are looking for ways to study that can maximize learning and minimize distractions.
Many MSU students know the clichéd study tips, such as studying during the day or not cramming, but some have found specific ways to help themselves prepare for exam week.
For many students, getting away from their dorm rooms or apartments is crucial to studying. Bailey Shoemaker, senior graphic design major, said she needs to find a quiet place away from her normal surroundings to stay on task.
“I usually try to go to the library or to McCool or somewhere with study rooms so that I can focus without all the distractions of my apartment,” she said. “I think that works because I am not as tempted to fall asleep or do something else.”
Jacob Collins, junior communication major, said he also feels he studies best away from his house.
“I do my best work in a public setting,” he said. “Being at home makes me too comfortable, and I am easily distracted.”
Bryan Snow, senior communication major, said he likes to study in a public place because he needs the ambient noise to help him focus.
“I actually study in kind of busy places,” he said. “I can’t study when it’s completely quiet. So I like somewhere like a restaurant or coffee shop where it isn’t too quiet or too busy.”
While many people suggest studying in the library as a place with minimal distractions, Snow said it is too quiet for him to focus.
Other students may find they are able to study at home where they can control what is around them, like senior English major Rachel Mordecki, who said she prefers being in her apartment when she studies.
“I stay at home, away from people, and I turn off the TV and internet,” she said. “Usually, I’ll plug in my iPod and focus. It’s all about getting away from distractions.”
Besides finding the best place to study, students also should consider things that do not help them focus or retain information. It is important students find ways to avoid these studying methods or make adjustments to maximize benefits.
Roshni Patel, junior accounting major, said she is prone to cramming for exams but works hard to study over a longer period of time for finals.
“I am bad about cramming for regular tests, but during finals week I like to start studying early,” she said. “I usually wake up early and just study until I get hungry or need a break, and then I start back again afterward.”
Mordecki said she also avoids cramming for final exams because she cannot retain the information she reads when she does not study thoroughly.
“Staying up all night cramming doesn’t work,” she said. “I found I need sleep far more than going over my notes over and over.”
Collins said avoiding the cram craze is hard for him because of his busy schedule, so he tries to make sure to give himself time before the test.
“A tip I’ve heard is to start studying a week ahead of time,” he said. “Unfortunately, because of the fast pace and high stress of school and work, I am rarely able to do this.”
Patel said she chooses to study alone instead of in a group because she finds other students can distract her from her notes.
“I have been told that studying in groups can be good, but from my own experience, unless everyone is focused, you won’t really get anywhere with your work,” she said.
Shoemaker said she only studies with others if they have a plan to help each other rather than socialize during the study time.
“I can’t really study in groups unless we are quizzing each other or helping with some type of math or science problem,” she said. “When I have to read or focus and other people are talking, it can be distracting, and it won’t really soak in.”