MSU remembers student lost to drug death, arrests made in relation

Thomas Parker Rodenbaugh, Mississippi State University junior construction science major, died August 2014 in the Oktibbeha County Regional Hospital in Starkville, Mississippi.
While the investigation of Rodenbaugh’s death is still pending, Michael Hunt, Oktibbeha County coroner, said the official results stating cause of death will be revealed in the toxicology and autopsy report.
“Rodenbaugh was picked up on Nash Street and then transferred to the Octibbeha County Hospital Regional Medical Center where he died,” Hunt said.
Whitley Daughtry, sister of Thomas Parker Rodenbaugh, said Rodenbaugh was a special person whose personality shone through everyone. 
“He was loved by so many. Hearts were touched, good times were shared and memories were made, Daughtry said,” “I’m sure most of us immediately think of his never-ending smile and beautiful eyes. There was life in him that was so vibrant it was hard not to notice.”
 Daughtry said it was difficult not to notice his smile and if you did not notice, his persistent drumming would have caught your attention. 
“Parker had a love for life. He always wanted everyone around him to be happy and to be having the time of their lives right along with him. He had a love for soccer, playing the drums, and Ole Miss (even though he was born a Bulldog in Starkville, Mississippi). But he loved his momma most of all. And we all believed he had not yet found a steady girlfriend because he was looking for someone like her.”
  According to Daughtry, most of his friends knew Parker, or more so as “P-Rod,” from his days at Madison Central, Ole Miss, Holmes or State. 
“Some of us like to say Parker was an expert advice-giver, party organizer or deer hunter/survivalist (only some of his buddies may get that one),” she said.
 Daughtry said he also loved to dance. 
“He was often seen re-enacting the Dirty Dancing lift with friends – didn’t matter if it was a girl or guy,” she said. “Today, we come together to lift up our dear Parker. With our memories and prayers. Raise him up to the Lord our God until we see him again one day.
Cordie Rodenbaugh, mother of Thomas Rodenbaugh, said her son was nothing less than loved by everyone and left a lasting touch in everyone’s lives.
“It was amazing; he touched so many lives and always no matter what cared for his family and loved ones,” Cordie Rodenbaugh said. “At his funeral,  there were so many people who came to support; over a thousand. It was unbelievable. He was such a wonderful son, brother and friend.”
Sid Salter, Chief communications officer at Mississippi State University, said MSU expresses a deep sense of sadness whenever a student death occurs, regardless of the cause.
“There were a tragic number of deaths to occur  before the school year began, “ Salter said. “Since this specific case transpired off of campus we only know what the police have released to the media as far as details go.” 
“We hope parents and guardians have engaged with their loved ones about the dangers and realities of drug usage long before students arrive on our campus,” he said.   “We also maintain a ready service directed toward helping all of our faculty, students and staff.”
Highlighting MSU’s 20,000 student population, 5,000 faculty and staff population in adjacent to a 45, 000 people town, Salter said the frequency of drug-related incidents are considerably low when compared with the rest of the world population.
“The University has long geared and committed to helping students with any substance problem and those choices that are made by young adults,” he said.  “If anyone needs help they can call 911 or 662-325-2091.”
In connection to Rodenbaugh’s death, Skylar Noel O’Kelly and younger brother Daylin Deveaeux O’ Kelly were arrested on pending charges. 
According to detective Bill Lott of the Starkville Police Department, younger brother Daylin O’ Kelly was released with no charges pending, in opposition to his older brother Skylar O’ Kelly, who was charged with drug trafficking, manslaughter and culpable negligence.
Lott stated Skylar and his younger brother left a couple hours prior to Rodenbaugh’s passing and the ambulance call was made by Rodenbaughs roommates, around 2:02 a.m.
“Last year the ‘Manslaughter culpable negligence’ law was passed but just went into effect on July 1, 2014.” Lott said. “The law states that if you give someone a drug or controlled substance you can be charged with culpable negligence.”
Lott went on to explain the difference between culpable negligence, and criminal intent.
“Normally with criminal statutes there is criminal intent, but there was no criminal intent here,” Lott said. “That’s where the new law comes into play. Culpable negligence means that you acted in providing the drugs/substances that harmed someone or took their life, regardless of where or not there was any intent.”
According to Lott, many individuals now apply many harmful substances to standard drugs, resulting in deadly effects to the body.
“When you’re buying illegal drugs you just don’t know what you’re getting,” Lott said. “People are seriously experimenting and creating synthetic versions of these drugs.” 
Lott said autopsy results revealed nothing abnormal about Rodenbaugh’s brain, concluding he did not die of natural causes. 
“Further blood work will determine the exact cause of death,” Lott said.
Detective Lott asks if anyone has any information regarding specifics to this case, call 662-209-3673.