The Coffee Depot rolls coffee cart into Starkville

The Coffee Depot, located on South Jackson Street, is in the process of launching their new full-service coffee cart for catering and events.

Sarah Morgan, owner of The Coffee Depot, opened the shop in May 2023. With an array of coffee drinks and baked goods, they offer a welcoming space for snacking, socializing and studying.

“I have always loved coffee, but more so I love service,” Morgan said. “I worked in a coffee shop when I lived in New York, so when I moved home, I knew I wanted to open a shop and do this for the rest of my life.”

Recently, Morgan decided to explore a new venture: a full-service coffee cart.

“It’s not just a food truck,” Morgan said. “It can go inside buildings and easily rolls into a trailer for transportation. It’s full-service, too, offering cold brew, espresso and drip. We can offer basically anything that we can offer in-house.”

The cart was only finished in the past few weeks and has only been used once so far – when it made its debut.

“We took it to a soccer camp,” Morgan said. “We mostly sold coffee to the parents. We do a lot of business with the soccer team, so it was really sweet of them to let us try our cart out at the camp. We really appreciated it. It worked well, and we were pleased.”

Morgan’s father, Doug Pellum, built the cart.

“We looked online for ideas until we decided what we wanted, what we were happy with, and then I built it. I’ve built horse trailer bars before when I built The Tipsy Bronco, so this was not my first project,” Pellum said.

It takes two people to man the cart, making it convenient for events and catering. Currently, Morgan is looking for upcoming events to cater.

The coffee cart concept has elicited an excited response from Mississippi State University students. Jacob Dennis, a coffee aficionado and junior art major, is one of those students.

“I think this cart sounds amazing,” Dennis said, excitedly. “I like that a lot. I’d like to see it at, like, every event. I’d even like to see it at the poster sales, or at markets. I’d like to see it at anything, really.”

Ethan Dull, a junior biological sciences major, is another coffee fan.

“I would be interested in seeing it on campus,” Dull said. “I think it should be right in the front aisle of my 8 a.m. classes,” Dull said, jokingly.

The cart is currently available to book for events, and those interested can book by contacting The Coffee Depot at 662-268-3139 or [email protected].

Anne Louise Phillips
Anne Louise Phillips, Staff Writer
Anne Louise Phillips is a sophomore English major. Anne Louise is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.