Local artists create progressive art installation

Sarah Dutton

Ruthe Guerry’s personal piece of work within the entire Splinter installation reflects her overall message of body image and the Looking Glass Theory during the reception that was held on March 31. 

A progressive art installation was presented to the public through a traditional setting in Columbus on March 31.
Despite the rain, there were over 200 people who attended.  The restoration process of the actual exhibition began a few months prior to the reception. There were numerous volunteers who helped bring the project and its message to life. According to some of the artists, like Alea Landry, the collaborative effort made something much bigger than each of them individually.
    “Everyone pitched in time and effort for a cause that is worth more than monetary or social fame, and I believe somewhere in that world is where the heart of an artist lies,” Landry said.
   Local artists including the creator of the project, Dustin Vance, come from different backgrounds. Landry is from Long Beach on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Another artist, Blake Summers, currently resides in Oxford but is originally from California. The diverse backgrounds of these artists were able to bring a new meaning to their work both individually and collectively.
 “The installation by Blake Summers was very interesting because it included a person as part of the installation,” said Lesia Rambus, a Mississippi University for Women’s fine art major.  “The way the artist designed the installation to consume the entire space was impressive.”
   Dustin said prior to the reception date that he hoped his project would start a conversation and allow others to learn more about what is truly going on and happening to the people around them. He wanted to emphasize not necessarily on minorities but marginalized people in general in hopes of inspiring others to start their own projects.
   Desarea Guyton is a contributing artist and a MSU student majoring in Graphic Design.
  “The gallery inspired me to want to do something outside of myself,” said Guyton. “It makes me want to put things into action for myself. It’s like tipping the first domino or watching a firework ceremony. Where do I go from here? What mindset am I in now? I just want to create and grow.”
     The installation is running through the end of April. Anyone is welcome to tour the installation at any time throughout April, purchase the work or learn more about the project by getting in contact with Dustin Vance either at [email protected] or at the website for the project at splintercollective.squarespace.com.