Panhellenic Council receives Overall Excellence Award at conference

On Oct. 15, the Panhellenic Council at Mississippi State University received the Overall Excellence Award at the National Panhellenic Conference in Austin, Texas, where Panhellenic Council members from across the nation gathered. 
The Panhellenic Council is  one of the largest governing organizations for sororities across the nation, comprising of 26 sororities including Delta Gamma, Kappa Delta, Chi Omega, Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Delta Delta, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi and Delta Xi Phi.
According to a press release, roughly 50 colleges and universities submitted 140 applications and the Panhellenic council at MSU received the Overall Excellence Award in the six-to-10 chapters category.
Etta Laura, Panhellenic executive council president, said in an email the Overall Excellence Award is a prestigious award, and  she is very proud to accept the award on behalf of the Panhellenic Council at MSU.
“Overall Excellence is the highest achievement that a college Panhellenic Council can receive from NPC, and it is such an honor to be awarded it,” Laura said.
Nicki Meneley, executive director of the conference, said in a press release some laudable events the council at MSU organized were workshops on ethical recruiting, judicial rules and interviewing skills, as well as roundtable discussion with recruitment and student leaders.
Heidie Lindsey, Panhellenic Council advisor at MSU, said the award was based on criteria such as recruitment, community service, women’s leadership, member education and unity promotion. Charitable efforts  such as raising money for the American Cancer Society and the House of Hope, a facility for adolescents struggling with difficult social situations, also contributed greatly to the achievement of Panhellenic Council.
Lindsey said a small group of MSU PC members attended the annual banquet in Texas last weekend, and it was a great experience for the group because they had the opportunity to meet members from other states as well as national leaders. MSU has excellent fraternities and sororities and many of the chapters on campus are top tier, nationally.
“Mississippi State University is very fortunate because we have very strong fraternities and sororities, and the chapters on campus are recognized nationally,” she said.
Laura said the success of the Panhellenic Council at MSU is greatly due to the efforts of the terrific students who are members of the council.
“Working with the outstanding group of women that have served on our Panhellenic Council and within our chapters both this year and last year, I know that this award could not have been achieved without their support and drive to always better our Panhellenic community,” she said.
Lindsey said fraternities and sororities are often stereotyped to be a group for social events, but, in reality, the social effects of these organizations are very valuable for individuals. Members have to follow strict regulation even while partying and have to learn to balance their academic and social responsibilities.
“Contrary to popular belief, fraternities and sororities are not all about partying. They help develop a  whole person through service, keeping grades up, giving back to younger members, paying dues and accepting responsibilities as officers,” Lindsey said.
She said other sororities under the Panhellenic Council have received various praiseworthy awards in the past years. Zeta Tau Alpha received the Crown Chapter award and donated over $25,000 to the ZTA Foundation; Delta Xi Phi Multicultural Sorority received the National Sisterhood Award, Chi Omega was the greatest Make-A-Wish Donor from a single event and received the National Award of Achievement and Delta Delta Delta was named the second highest fundraising chapter in the nation for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, a facility which helps children fight cancer.
“After this accomplishment, I believe that our Panhellenic Council can only continue to grow and succeed for years to come,” Laura said.