Faculty prepare for Lee Hall renovation

Lee Hall is scheduled to undergo major renovations in the summer of 2012 to update and help preserve the Mississippi landmark building. Tim Muzzi, associate director of planning and construction in the department of facilities management, said the construction documents are 75 percent complete and the project is highly controlled, by law, by the state of Mississippi and the Department of Archives and History.

“Construction of the site would not take place until July of 2012,” he said. “We anticipate the completion of the renovation project in a timely manner to allow us to occupy and use the facility in January of 2014.”
Muzzi said Lee Hall, built in 1909, is a central figure to campus since the building is in a strategic location and supports several academic departments. The project will restore historic details where possible, as well as install new electrical systems, new elevators, improve administrative spaces and improve the historic exterior of the building. The project will take approximately 18 months and some offices will need to be relocated while the renovations take place. “The English and foreign languages departments will be temporarily relocated … and then they will be relocated into Lee Hall on the first and second levels,” Muzzi said.

“The remaining departments and office requirements will be temporarily relocated to other areas on campus until the Lee Hall renovation project is complete, at which time other space will be freed up to relocate these departments and offices to a permanent location.”
Those departments that will be permanently relocated will be moved to a location that will better support the academic mission of MSU, he said.
Muzzi said any building renovation disrupts not only the existing occupants but also those who use or visit the facility. Some of the English and foreign languages department faculty said they are looking forward to the updates to Lee Hall and are willing to be inconvenienced for a period of time in order for the facility to be improved so it can better serve the students.
“This building represents our history and our roots,” he said.
Rich Raymond, head of the English department, said in an email his 77-person department will be displaced for three semesters to Howell Hall, next to the architecture building and near Humphrey Coliseum. The department will move to Howell in June, with plans for each office to house two professors each. Harpole House, which is located next to Allen Hall, will house the department’s Writing Center, as well as a few professors.
“Moving always proves a hassle, but we understand the need to renovate Lee Hall,” Raymond said. “We’ll put up with the crowding and longer walks, grateful that we will move back into Lee in spring semester 2014.”
Raymond said Roger Baker,  the master planner, and Jerry Gilbert, provost, have made every effort to facilitate the move and to ensure all the professors have suitable places to work and meet with students.
Lisa McMurtray, a second-year teaching assistant with the English department, said while the renovation plans may be inconvenient for a while until it is completed, the restoration of the iconic building is something everyone in the department is excited about.
“Lee Hall is a beautiful, historic building that remains essential to MSU, and the administration seeks to enjoy its character, prominence and sentimental value,” she said.
Kiley Sullivan Forsythe, a teaching assistant also with the English department, said she is excited about plans to remodel and joked about the department’s temporary relocation.
“(Howell Hall) is out of the way … which will just mean we have a longer hike to class,” she said. “But we’ll be the fittest department on campus!”