New dean position formed

Mississippi State University is raising the director’s position of the Shackouls Honors College to a dean level. The institution hopes to fill the position by fall 2011.
MSU provost Jerry Gilbert said MSU wanted to elevate the status of the Honors College by raising the level of responsibility of the individual in charge.
“[We’re] hoping with the new dean selection to expand and enhance some of the opportunities and expectations of honor students,” he said.
By changing the Honors College leadership, MSU will be more eligible for a Phi Beta Kappa chapter, the oldest academic honor society in the country, Gilbert said. In order to be eligible for the chapter, MSU needs to have a strong commitment to liberal arts and humanities, as well as a strong base of professors who are PBK members, Gilbert said.
He said MSU will be able to apply for PBK in 2012.
The decision will also give Honors students on campus a sense of renewed commitment to the Shackouls Honors College, he said.
Students outside the Honors College will be affected minimally. A search committee is currently narrowing the number of applicants to fill the position. The committee consists of appointed members and members of the honors college faculty, Gilbert said.
College of Arts & Sciences Dean and search committee chair Gary Myers said in an e-mail the committee will announce the names of the three or four finalists.
Gilbert said Robert West, English instructor at MSU, is serving as interim dean for the Honors College.
Tanner Powell, sophomore mechanical engineering major and Honors student, said the Honors College at MSU has been great, and he wants the new dean to continue its success.
Kyle Bellamy, junior biological engineering major, said he is an Honors student and resident assistant for Griffis Hall, which houses Honors students.
He said the new dean should organize more activities and movie nights.
“It’s great to see all the [students] come out and build a community and have fun,” he said.
Gilbert said the goal of the Honors College is to create a robust, academic environment for students who want to be challenged at higher levels.
Bellamy said one of the things he enjoys about being an Honors student is registering for classes early.
“It’s nice to be able to pick the teachers we want and do the research and make sure that we’re going to classes prepared,” he said.
Gilbert said students in the Honors College are offered professors who teach fewer students, which allows them to be more engaged.
Lauren Rhue, freshmen animal and diary science major and Honors student, said being able to register for smaller classes helps.
“In the Honors class that I’m in right now, it’s only about 20 people, versus 300 [in regular classes],” she said.
Honors students also have the privilege of interacting with guests speakers who visit the campus, Gilbert said.
Powell said he enjoyed attending special programs on campus as an honors student.
“I got the chance to attend Greg Mortenson’s visit to the fourth floor honor’s forum, and, honestly, that was amazing,” he said.
Honor students are required to take one honors’ course a year and maintain a 3.4 GPA, Bellamy said.
“They expect us to do well and uphold the values that they put in the honors college,” he said. “It’s not impossible to do. I’m very active, and I managed to keep up my GPA.”