Parties should join forces to fix economy

Let’s be honest: America’s financial state is in quite a bit of trouble.  With the alarming rise of suspected national debt, many are wondering how to fix the problems that are upon us. The government continues to request for extensions of funds and more time to get things in order. While votes have been in its favor in the past, the most recent movement for an extension was denied. This need for money in our country is not only effecting our government, but also citizens as individuals.
Even as a college student I feel the effects of such tight spending. It is extremely difficult to find a job these days; you are either under qualified, or over qualified or there are no positions available at the time. Obviously, something is different in our society that is affecting our economy. We cannot deny the financial changes nearly everyone in America has had to make in the past several years. The words “cutting back” have been a daily phrase in many homes.
Lobbyists with their own agendas set in place are twisting both parties of our government in order to get the outcome desired. Although big businesses are not suffering this crisis nearly as harshly as the small businesses are, everyone is still affected. Whether the money is there or not, everyone is acting as if it has disappeared. How our government could possible go broke eludes me, but I assume it is a possibility.
I fear no foothold in our economy’s demise is being made by either the Democratic or Republican parties, therefore no significant changes can be made. Until both sides come together to make a collective decision concerning the crisis, I do not see anything getting better for the common good of all people.
The House Budget Committee recently released its fiscal 2012 budget proposal. Fox News reported Chairman Ryan (R-Wis.) had great courage to begin the journey that is the deficit and debt challenge. It found his budget proposal was quite specific in regard to spending and government programs and policies. The chairman has every intention of reducing cost in these areas with the new proposal. Many may feel controversial about the tactics proposed, but all are definitely something to consider in the future.
To me, a huge difference could be made if the parties joined forces. Something I believe our government has been guilty of for years is the fact that everyone, even citizens, are out to help themselves. Those in power over the United States cannot have that mindset to be successful. The government was meant to be the organization that represented the people. Well, the people are crying out for a change. Unfortunately, with the last election, the change we expected has yet to arrive. If our Republican and Democratic parties would earnestly begin to collaborate, I believe their bright minds could come to an agreement more beneficial for the greater population.
As the economy continues to fall into an unfortunate slump, the people look to our government to hear our cries for help and fix the issue.
In their attempt to do so, I question where their motives lie. Are they attempting to hold a political stand and make a point by having their party’s plan “win,” or is their effort in the best interest of all people?  Let’s hope the next idea is better than the last few.
Sarah Ulmer is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected]