Technology advances, courtesies disappear

Hey, you. Yeah, the one I see in class numerous times a week. I hand you the attendance sheet every period to sign and also speak up in the group presentations we have worked on so you don’t look foolish.
Why do you walk past me in public like you do not know me?
Is it because you noticed my iPod has the entire Kelly Clarkson catalogue, or perhaps you have seen the way I caress a cupcake at the bakery like I am about to make love to it?
Either way, there are few things that frost my cookies more than being ignored by someone who obviously knows me. We both make eye contact and you even see me starting to acknowledge your presence when all of a sudden you shift your eyes.
This happened to me on three different occasions Sunday, and it got me thinking about just why we feel the need to ignore those with whom we share a history. 
Have we become that uncomfortable interacting with acquaintances face-to-face because online chatting and texting has become our preferred methods of communication?
It is through these platforms where we can easily choose to recognize the person trying to initiate conversation or leave them hanging. Perhaps this painless disregard has transferred into our personal interactions. 
Such constant alluding only helps us justify the need to not pay someone attention, even when we know we should.
Think about it. How often do you catch yourself focused more on your phone than the actual conversation you are holding with a peer or lecture your professor is conducting?
A recent poll from Wilkes University showed 91 percent of college students send texts regularly during class with 62 percent of these avid texters believing this should be allowed.
Although I do not think as many MSU students text during class (we do crosswords), we have all seen those who might as well have not shown up because the phone never leaves their laps. They spend more time trying to disguise their dirty deed than actually jotting down notes.
While they do not feel guilty for such academic avoidance, they are the first to ask a question when it’s time to do work. This is because they want a good grade, so they will happily use a classmate or even professor to obtain it.
For when we need a person to achieve a personal objective, then we can appreciate his or her existence.
Now this harping of mine has little to do with being ignored on the Drill Field or at Walmart?
But I merely want to raise the issue of how such social negligence may prove to be the downfall of our generation.
What happens when we become too comfortable turning our head to evade another person because we have no self interest at stake? 
Over time, our persistent avoidance will evolve into never acknowledging others, even when they need help or deserve recognition. Our social networks will morph into nothing more than an electronic database we only rely on when it’s convenient for us.
While individuals may never be able to fill you in on all the gossip like Facebook or limit themselves to 140 characters, they are deserving of at least your acknowledgment.
So take the time to crack a smile or nod as someone walks by. What’s the worst that can happen? Besides that person ignoring you.
Patrick Young is a graduate student in public policy and administration. He can be contacted at [email protected].