Public’s interest sadly misdirected

To anyone who has a computer with access to the Internet, the world is at your fingertips. It’s amazing how much social media has evolved and expanded. Last year I barely knew how to use Twitter; now it’s like any other part of my day.
I have spent the past hour not writing this article or doing homework, but browsing funny YouTube videos. I probably watched “You Forgot the Blueberries” about 50 times.
My lack of productivity somewhat illustrates the strong grip of the media. We rely on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blog browsing and various other types of social media for just about everything — news, entertainment, a cure for boredom, etc. It’s not a bad thing. I can find out anything I want to know with a few clicks of a mouse or a few taps on my iPhone. I can laugh hysterically at videos of giggling babies or SNL skits (which I do often). I can read insightful and inspiring blog posts and even compose a few of my own.
The kind of global access social networking brings to the table allows for constant communication. Even celebrities join in, closing the gap between “famous people” and “normal people.”
However, to me it seems the use of social media can somewhat dilute the reality that makes “real life.” With so many options to obtain information, people can pick and choose what to read or view.
Charlie Sheen got a million people to follow him on Twitter over night. A million people over night. Why? Because he’s a train wreck, and people like to see what wacky statement or action he’s going to pull out of the hat next. He’s entertaining, and people are thrilled by crazies like him. Rebecca Black’s gosh-awful song “Friday” (bless her heart) went viral in the worst possible way, and she is still a trending topic on Twitter. Everyone in the world knew when Justin Bieber got his hair cut. If I want up-to-the-minute details of Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding, I know where to find them.
United States opened fire on Libya. The terror of a mind-blowing earthquake and tsunami in Japan has left the country in an agony I can’t imagine. Those, as well as other pieces of vitally important information, seem to get put on the backburner after a short period of time. People don’t like reading about them. While they may be trending topics, they do not get the same attention as other superficial things. It’s all too easy to see destruction or conflict and simply disregard it. I’m not saying the world should constantly look at depressing news and ignore the fun stuff; I’m just saying news that important should not be taking the back seat for our attention.
 Imagine if the million people who took interest in Charlie Sheen within 24 hours took the same interest in relief for Japan. Even though I can’t comprehend how to begin to help Japan other than through financial donations, which many people are actively and generously providing, you can’t tell me those topics are the first items of interest in people’s news feeds.
For me personally, I want to take advantage of the use of social media to be well-informed about important global topics and events. There is still plenty of room to be entertained.
Mary Chase Breedlove is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected].