Chapel of Memories to host Christmas carols

The melodic strains of a chorus of voices singing traditional Christmas carols will fill the varied-brick walls of Mississippi State University’s Chapel of Memories at the upcoming Carols in the Chapel event on Dec. 14.
In celebration of the Christmas season, MSU’s Christian Faculty-Staff Forum is putting on Carols in the Chapel, a simple ceremony of singing and scripture-reading, designed to reflect the traditional meaning of Christmas.
Organized by David Easley, the chief financial officer of the Mississippi State Foundation, Carols in the Chapel will take place from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Chapel of Memories.
Easley, along with his wife as piano accompanist, will lead the carols, which will include classic favorites such as “We Three Kings,” “O Little Town of Bethlehem” and “Away in a Manger,” among others.
The ceremony will open with a call to worship led by a wind and string ensemble. Prayer, singing and a reading of the Christmas story will follow.
Easley’s goal in organizing the event is to provide a time for MSU faculty and staff to come together and celebrate Christmas.
“It’s really intended to be very simple. It’s a public acknowledgement of the traditional meaning of Christmas—the birth of Christ,” Easley said. “It’s a time that Christians on campus can come together as one body and celebrate a really special holiday for believers and the world.”
Easley said he loves traditional, congregational singing, and sees it as a special way of bringing people together.
“I love traditional Christmas music, and I also love congregational singing,” Easley said. “It just joins everybody together, and lets everybody feel like they’re a part of the event.”
Mike Highfield, a professor of finance and the Warren Chair of Real Estate Finance at MSU, will read several passages of scripture for the event. Highfield’s favorite aspect of the event is the beautiful and beloved locale in which it takes place.
“For those of us who love Mississippi State University, the chapel has special meaning, and having the opportunity to sing Christmas carols in such a unique and special place is something I look forward to each year,” Highfield said.
Unfortunately, as the event will take place after final exams end, most students will have already left for home. However, for those still on campus, the event is open to faculty and students alike.
“We would love for any students who are on campus to come,” Easley said.
For those who will be unable to attend this event, the Christian Faculty-Staff Forum is considering doing a similar event in the future that could be much more easily attended by students: Easter in the Chapel.
Highfield summed up the event by describing it as a great way to slow down and focus on what really matters, while fellowshipping with others doing the same thing.
“It’s a nice reminder to pause and remember the holiday season,” Highfeld said. “And it’s also a great opportunity to interact with other believers as you think about celebrating the Christmas season.”

Hannah Blankenship
Hannah Blankenship, Former Editor-in-Chief
Hannah Blankenship served as Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2021 to 2022. She also served as the Managing Editor from 2020 to 2021 and as the News Editor from 2019 to 2020. Hannah was named College Journalist of the Year at the 2022 Southeastern Journalism Conference.