Students, professors show support for assault victims in walk out

Katie Poe – The Reflector

The line “We can do better” was chanted by professors and students on the Drill Field of Mississippi State University on Monday afternoon as they gathered in support of the women who accused Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault.
People across the country participated in solidarity with this walk out event in support of believing the accusers, specifically Christine Belsay Ford and Deborah Ramirez.
English associate professor Shalyn Claggett attended the walk out and held a sign with the words “We believe Dr. Christine Blasey Ford #BelieveSurvivors” written in black.
Claggett said she regularly follows posts on social media about victims recounting their experiences of sexual assault, and she believes people should support them, as well as Blasey.
“I think we’re mostly reacting to the story of Kavenaugh and Ford, and the kind of, frankly, horrifying lack of sympathy and belief in what seems to be certainly a credible claim that deserves to be investigated,” Claggett said. “I came out to support this because I think it’s important to believe women who have been victimized and assaulted, but what has been really disturbing to me is that a lot of people, in reaction to women sharing this information, don’t believe them. It’s very frightening, so I think it’s important that we come out and support people who have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose, and despite that, they say something. This is a critical moment in history in our country.”
Also attending the walk out was English professor Kelly Marsh, who extended the support of Blasey and Ramirez to any victim of sexual assault, especially within the MSU community.
“I decided to participate in the walk-out on the Drill Field today to demonstrate my solidarity with Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez, and to communicate to survivors of sexual assault here on campus that they will be heard, believed and supported,” Marsh said.
During the event, Director of Gender Studies Kimberly Kelly said she came to the Drill Field to show her opposition to Kavanaugh possibly being selected to be a Supreme Court justice.
“Feeling the conviction that that is something I desperately do not want to have happen in this country, along with the treatment of Dr. Ford, which is so typical of survivors who report are treated by police officers, significant others and the judiciary, knowing that she was being treated so poorly I knew that we needed to speak up and say that there are people who do believe you, who do believe sexual assault survivors,” Kelly said.
Some professors gave students the option to participate in the walk out. Gracie Huddleston and Ellie Saget, who were attending Madison Henson’s sociology class, said even though they participated in the event and walked out of class, they were still counted as present.
Spanish associate professor Sol Pelaez, who organized the campus event, said there was a sister walk out in downtown Starkville the same day. She said about 30 participants took part of the one on campus.
“It was very moving for many of the participants,” Pelaez said. “Students, faculty and staff, who had been victims of sexual abuse need to know that they have support here on campus.”
On the Drill Field, Pelaez read from a paper and cited some statistics from the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence. She said only 33 percent of teenagers abused by a partner tell anyone about it, and 43 percent of dating college women report experiencing abusive behavior from a partner. She also said one in five women are sexually assaulted during their college tenures.
“We want justice,” Pelaez said. “I believe all survivors have a fighter core, and with support, become stronger… Our message was: we are here for you, whenever you are ready to support you in any manner you need. Our message is for Dr. Ford, who we support in this difficult situation, and for everyone else. All in all, we want a fair and honest justice system that protects the victims.”
Those who have experienced sexual assault can contact Student Counseling Services at 662-325-2091, which allows students to meet and speak confidentially with mental health counselors.
Those who need medical attention can go to the Longest Student Health Center, where the staff can perform a Physical Evidence Recovery Kit in cases of rape or sexual assault. Information shared with the center is also confidential.
For victims who would like to report a sexual assault, contact Title IX Coordinator Brett Harvey at 662-325-5839 or by email at [email protected]. For someone who is unsure whether they want to submit a formal complaint, they can call the MSU Safe Line at 662-325-3333. The phone is managed by counselors at all times, and they can help one find a sexual assault advocate. This process is also confidential.