All jokes aside, Louis C.K’s comeback may take longer than anticipated

11:00 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 27, renowned American comedian Louis C.K. performed in front of an audience of 115 at New York City’s famous Comedy Cellar.
You may know Louis C.K. from his Emmy-Award winning FX show “Louie,” his numerous stand up specials from networks like Netflix and Comedy Central, or from five separate sexual misconduct allegations from female peers and colleagues, all of which revolved around masturbation. 
The performance was unannounced and is the first set C.K has performed since his statement from November 2017, admitting to the allegations, saying the stories are true and how he will contemplate his actions. But the question many have is, did he listen long enough? With all of the initial backlash, I am sure he is getting an ear-full.
Hunter Harris of Vulture explains how Club owner Noam Dworman said he was unsure of how the audience would respond to C. K’s gig, until the moment the crowd gave him a warm welcome, meeting him with a standing ovation. One audience member even exclaimed, “It’s good to have Louie back,” Dworman said, as reported by Harris.
C.K was “calm” and did not mention anything regarding his sexual misconduct, and acted as if the past nine months had not even been an issue. However, Harris also noted the big disconnect between male and female audience members. One of the female audience members, which asked to remain anonymous, described the scene as uncomfortable. 
“There were at least four to five females I could see … looking at him deadpan, straight, not having it,” she explained, “It’s the kind of vibe that doesn’t allow for a dissenting voice. You’re just expected to be a good audience member.”
C.K. performed a standard 15-minute set of new material, which was in line with his usual style, including one bit containing the phrase “clean as a rape whistle.” Not in the best taste, I agree, and it probably added to the underlying tension and discomfort from the audience.
Yes, it was unannounced, but this is often the case in a comedy club or open-mic function. It is open to all, and many are unaware of what comic will be on the mic any given night. Not to mention, the Comedy Cellar is a part of who C.K. is—to him it is a safe space, a home which allows him to hone his craft.
Additionally, these women could have left the venue. This would have shown C.K. and other people in the club how he is still not ready to be accepted in the comedic or public eye.  I understand how they felt, outnumbered and unable to speak. Despite this, if they acted, it would be a more immediate effect than flaming an electronic, ethical debate. If you do not support him, do not support him, but there is not much you can do about changing the minds of those who do.
One of the women, Rebecca Corry of Vulture, had this to say about C.K.’s performance, after calling him out in a New York Times article six months prior.
“The idea that C.K. reentering the public eye would ever be considered a ‘comeback’ story is disturbing. The guy exploited his position of power to abuse women. A ‘comeback’ implies he’s the underdog and victim, and he is neither,” Corry said.
This is true, but I must ask, is this 15-minute set a comeback, or is this just a man trying to cope and reconcile by doing something which he loves? Much like the mistakes we all try to overcome.
The #metoo movement has cleaned up the scene, but apparently there is more work to be done. It is up to everyone in the industry, including the costumers and fans, to think very hard about who we idolize and how we hold them accountable for their actions.