A Home Away from Home: MSU Residence Halls

Kat Bowman | Contributing Photographer

The Office of Residence Life strives to reach out to each resident, making their residence hall feel like home.

Torrin Brown, a business information systems major, plans on living in Mississippi State University’s residence hall for his entire undergraduate career.
“It’s kind of like a home away from home,” Brown said. “It gives you freedom, too. If you want to stay out until 2 a.m., you can.”
Brown, a sophomore from Bryans Road, Maryland, also enjoys working as an information assistant in Hurst Hall at MSU.
“I get to see so many different faces and different viewpoints of how people are,” Brown said. “I get into conversations with people about their lives, and it gives me viewpoints of different types of people.”
Dei Allard, the executive director for MSU’s Department of Housing and Residence Life, said these different viewpoints are a component of life in a residence hall.
“They can get to know others beyond themselves,” Allard said.
“I would like to see them [students] as happy as they can be living on campus, whatever that means for them,” Allard said. “Usually that means having a good roommate they can—they don’t have to have the same values or ideals, but they have enough respect to live and work with each other.”
According to Allard, a resident at MSU needs opportunities when they will feel connected with where they are living, and resident advisors are vital to this connection.
“The biggest thing starts with the RA’s on the floor just making sure that we are letting students know that we are a welcoming environment,” Allard said. “They’re not just putting a head in bed. They allow them to enjoy life, to explore their identities and independence and to help the student find their path.”
Cathy Sims, a resident advisor in Hathorn Hall, works hard to include her residents.
“We just try to make sure they’re involved,” Sims said. “When you’re involved on campus, you’re more likely to stay.”
According to Allard, RA’s assist students in various aspects of life, not just residence-related things.
“We have resident advisors and other staff members to help if they’re in any type of distress, personal or just struggling with classes,” Allard said.
Sims, a marketing and finance management major, creates a safe community for her residents.
“I’m a mama bear, if you’re in my residence hall, you’re my little baby cub,” Sims explains. “I’m going to protect you and make sure you’re doing good.”
Because Brown lives in a residence hall at MSU, he experiences this community.
“Living in the dorms has the essentials of having a bed, but it’s also like a community or family,” Brown said. “Having an RA is like having an older brother or sister.”
In addition to having a hard-working staff, MSU’s Department of Housing and Residence Life constantly improves its operations.
Allard said this past year was the first time the department allowed first-time freshmen to select their own rooms.
“We learned a lot through this process,” Allard said. “Come September, we’ll look at that process again and see how we can make it better.”
The department is also working to improve the facilities themselves. For example, the department will give new luxury vinyl wood-like floors to Critz Hall and Ruby Hall.
“Each room will also get a fresh coat of paint,” Allard said. “It brings a different life to those buildings.”
Overall, Allard said the department is doing a lot to reexamine their programming model.
“We have new professional staff that will be more available to students. That is a great addition for our team this year,” Allard said. “We are always striving for improvements and efficiencies in our system.”