Board discusses annexation, decides to begin phase two

Courtesy Graphic | Lynn Spruill
City officials discuss annexation

At the Starkville Board of Aldermen meeting Tuesday, the board approved phase one of its annexation study, deciding to begin the second phase.
The board approved the motion to move onto the phase two study with a 5-2 vote. Perkins and Vaughn voted against.
The proposed annexation would add four areas surrounding the city of Starkville into the city limits, and therefore increase the population from about 25,000 to more than 38,000 residents. Right now, Slaughter and Associates Urban Planning Consultants are conducting the phases of studies.
The board voted Tuesday to remove a section in the east, and then subsequently the first phase was approved. The second phase will determine the impact the new areas would have on the city, such as streets, sewage, water, and economic costs and benefits.
Starkville Mayor Lynn Spruill said the population growth would benefit the city.
“I think that it matters,” Spruill said. “I’ve always thought that from our perspective we continue to grow when others around us do not…I think population matters.”
At the meeting, Ward 7 Alderman Henry Vaughn Sr. asked Spruill what her “rush” was to move forward with the annexation. Spruill said she would like to have a population above 30,000 before the 2020 Census, adding the process would take 18 months to two years.
If implemented, the biggest part of the land in the annexation would include areas to the east and south of Starkville, which includes Mississippi State University.
Vice Mayor Roy A. Perkins asked Spruill what the “rational basis” of taking in MSU would be.
“The rational basis for me would be their population,” Spruill said. “Between us and that divisional area in the east, that is the area where we are growing…They are already partners with us in most things. I think, with the exception of Oxford and Ole Miss, every university in the state is within the city limits of its partner.”
Spruill said if the university agrees with the annexation, it would add about 6,000 people to the city’s population. However, MSU has to decide if it wants to be included in the city limits.
Spruill said depending on the annexation agreement, the university could choose to retain control over its own police, streets and buildings, as it does now.
“I personally would have no problem with that, and would write that under the annexation ordinance,” Spruill said.
Spruill said if MSU agrees, its residents could vote in city elections, which is a significant benefit.
The board also:

• Removed considering calling for a public hearing for the go cup ordinance. The board decided to host more work sessions before a public hearing. They will discuss the ordinance at a work session at 12 p.m. Friday.
  • Approved the proposed warranty deed between the Starkville Country Club, Inc. and the city, accepting the dedication of a part of Fairway Drive and the entirety of Sand Wedge Drive.
  • Appointed H. Russell Rogers to the Municipal Airport Board for a three-year term.
  • Heard from Starkville Police Department Police Chief Frank Nichols as he gave police recognition awards to policemen and women who responded to the Walmart shooting.
  • Introduced a new employee, Police Officer Parker Madeen.
  • Heard about the State of the Parks Initiative.
  • Approved a public hearing to determine whether some parcels are “in such a state of uncleanliness as to be a menace to the public health, safety and welfare of the community”.
  • Approved transferring a 1994 Ford F-150 from Starkville Utility Department to Starkville Street Department.
  • Approved travel for Deputy Clerks Lashonda Wilson, Leanne McGarr and Jameika Smith to deputy clerk training.
  • Accepted a Homeland Security grant of $18,054 to purchase a 2018 Polaris 900 Crew and Medlite Transport Deluxe to use at public events in the city and MSU football games.
  • Hired Nathan Flippo as a water operator and Nelson McGough as an intern in Starkville Utilities Department.
  • Hired Revis Kellum, Kindle Jones, George Thompson, Elliot Johnson, Demorris Ewing and Garrett Heaton as firefighters.
  • Approved Parks and Recreation concessions agreement with Fred Tate for $1,100.
  • Approved a playground project at J.L. King Park from Bliss Products Inc. at a cost of $42,850.34.
  • Approved updated facility rental form including an amended policy specifying rentals during park hours and concluding at 10 p.m., unless approved by the board.
  • Approved adding four new tasers to city inventory.
  • Authorized SPD Chief Nichols to attend William R. Bracey Winter CEO Symposium in Birmingham at no cost exceeding $650.
  • Accepted Edward Byrne Memorial Justice assistance grant of $21,476.13.
  • Approved to declare 18 items as surplus property, advertise for sale and sell to the highest bidder.