The COVID-19 vaccines are a safe choice for all

Vaccines Safe for Everyone

As we progress through the COVID-19 pandemic and continue to grow past the difficult circumstances it has brought, a possible solution for this past year’s chaotic downfall has been uncovered. Two vaccines have been manufactured to prevent the virus from causing further destruction among the health of the world’s citizens. Within the last few months, Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines have been distributed within American society to diminish the consequences of COVID-19, and many individuals at a higher health risk have begun receiving their vaccinations.

With the appearance of the vaccinations, many have questioned the validity of the vaccines and have wondered what side effects might appear from receiving either of these antiviral agents. Rumors have swarmed the internet claiming the vaccines cause cerebral palsy, infertility and even alterations within human DNA.

The timespan in which the vaccines were developed has also caused concern about the vaccines’ efficacy. This led to confusion on whether individuals should receive the vaccines or continue fighting through the pandemic defenselessly. However, based on many reliable medical studies, it seems as though we have nothing to worry about when it relates to keeping ourselves protected via vaccines.

Researchers Lisa Maragakis and Gabor Kelen of John Hopkins Medicine state the vaccine had to go through numerous clinical studies, meet meticulous standards and undergo four phases of testing before being released to the public.

If the vaccines were truly deemed unfit for humans, then they simply would not have been allowed to reach the market in the first place because of the strict procedures present in the U.S. No safety concerns have been reported regarding the vaccines, and the only potential risk an individual may need to be concerned about is their own allergens. Anyone allergic to any ingredient contained in the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines should refrain from receiving the vaccines. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is also continuously monitoring any issues which result from vaccinations but have yet to find any complications.

The efficiency of the virus should no longer be an issue either. According to the CDC, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has shown a 95% efficacy rate in preventing COVID-19 while the Moderna vaccine proved a 94.1% efficacy rate. These numbers indicate there is only a 5% to 5.9% chance of the vaccines leaving you unprotected, and in most cases, this slim percentage of vulnerability correlates, once again, to a person’s specific allergens. 

Mayo Clinic debunked many COVID-19 vaccine myths and worries by explaining why the vaccines were developed so quickly. Ultimately, the virus’s major threat to the world’s population prompted pharmaceutical companies to expend an excessive number of resources for a vaccine solution. Mayo Clinic reiterates the severity of the pandemic caused an immediate response to develop a quick solution, but this does not devalue the production or quality of the vaccines themselves. Clarifying the formation of the vaccines helps us understand how it is still safe regardless of how quickly they were produced. Scientists designed the vaccines based on the molecular structure of the virus and created them in a way which keeps additive preservatives out of the mix.

The COVID-19 vaccines are not something the population should be afraid of but rather something to be thankful for as we continue to struggle in such ambiguous times. If the vaccines seriously caused more harm than good, they would ultimately cease to exist due to market pressure. If you are questioning whether or not you want to eventually be vaccinated and protected from COVID-19, this is your sign to go for it.

Payton Brown
Payton Brown, Former News Editor
Payton Brown served as the News Editor from 2022 to 2023.