Campus flooding and minimal damage ensue after tornado in Starkville

Around 10:00 p.m. Saturday night, a tornado was confirmed, causing damage and moving into Oktibbeha County. It was reported to be only 10 miles from Mississippi State University’s campus. A tornado warning was issued and students were told to seek shelter on the first floor of their residence halls. Around 10:30 p.m., the tornado warning was cancelled, as the immediate threat had passed. Severe weather continued, including heavy rain, resulting in flooding on campus as well as off campus in surrounding housing districts and several main roads.
According to Chief Communications Officer Sid Salter, Old Main, Bowen and Sessums experienced flooding. Salter also reported tree damage on Hail State Boulevard and the MSU Golf Course, in additon to damage at the South Farm Beef Unit. “Overall, we were extremely fortunate to have the very limited damage we had and no injuries,” Salter said. Trees and power lines were reported down near The Retreat, as well as metal debris at Aspen Heights. Starkville Utilities reported only minor electrical outages.

Hannah Blankenship
Hannah Blankenship, Former Editor-in-Chief
Hannah Blankenship served as Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2021 to 2022. She also served as the Managing Editor from 2020 to 2021 and as the News Editor from 2019 to 2020. Hannah was named College Journalist of the Year at the 2022 Southeastern Journalism Conference.