Don’t ask don’t tell policy essential to nation

Although controversy has risen over the U.S. Senate’s denial of repealing the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, it is in the best interest of our military men and women and our nation to honor and uphold this legislation.
After the Republican-led filibuster proved successful, many have argued that the DADT policy is unconstitutional and attests that the United States is hypocritical for “promoting the same shame and intolerance we openly claim to defend the rest of the world from.”
As a Christian and a firm believer in Jesus Christ and the truth of the Bible, I disagree with homosexuality. If the repeal of the DADT policy became a reality, it would consequently promote the acceptance of homosexuality, both militarily and on a national scale.
Granted, a person’s sexual orientation does not determine his or her ability or inability to engage in combat and fight for his or her country, neither does it determine how admirable he or she is as soldiers; sexual preference is irrelevant in that respect. If a homosexual individual is willing to volunteer his or her service and perhaps even his or her life to join the military and serve our country, way more power to him.
But what is the vital importance of expressing your sexuality? Sure, everyone feels the need to be who they truly are and express themselves, but considering someone was a homosexual and desired to join the military, I’m assuming they were aware of the DADT policy (how could they not be).
Bearing this in mind, if this person knowingly joined the military, he or she is stating that he or she fully realizes his or her responsibility in adhering to this policy and therefore accept it. “Don’t ask, don’t tell” is a law, whether the gay community or anybody else, for that matter, accepts it or not, and in order to be a part of the United States military, one must either accept and cope with it, or refrain from joining.
Soldiers who have been discharged for revealing their sexual orientation have broken a law and therefore have to deal with its repercussions. Presumably, most would agree that if a law is broken, the culprit should be punished for doing so.
What makes this issue any different?
Soldiers are informed of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy prior to their joining the military and if this policy is breached, the soldier in question is subject to its consequences.
More important than the public or Senate’s opinion on the matter is the opinion of the millions of soldiers currently serving, for they are the ones affected by this policy. Defense Secretary Robert Gates called for a Pentagon review of the repeal’s projected impact on the military (should it be enacted in the future), which is due in December. But currently, a representative of the Marine Corps told a Senate committee that he estimated, based on what he had heard at Marine bases and through the results of Marines’ responses to an online survey, that the response to the repeal was “predominantly negative.” If our troops are opposed to the repeal and to the idea of openly gay and/or lesbian soldiers, shouldn’t this impact our decision? Yes, soldiers’ viewpoints should play a crucial role in this piece of legislation.
Anti-DADT supporters aren’t taking into consideration the thoughts and opinions of those who will deal with this policy on a day-to-day basis, who will have to live, interact and share close quarters with their homosexual peers. As Arizona Senator and former presidential candidate John McCain stated, “The most fundamental thing we could do to honor the sacrifice of our troops is to take the time to hear their views.”
In addition to the rights of the soldiers are the rights of those like myself who oppose both the repeal of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy and a homosexual lifestyle. Our input should be listened to and considered, rather than pushed aside and regarded as “discriminatory” or “close-minded.”
Just as gays and lesbians accuse heterosexuals of showing contempt toward their beliefs, they, too, are condemning us for simply giving an opinion that counters theirs, yet we are still the hypocritical ones.
Rather than trying to force the acceptance of the gay lifestyle or the superfluity of the policy on those who oppose it, if anti-DADT supporters would take the time to listen to counteracting arguments, perhaps a more peaceful conclusion could be reached.
The denial of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” repeal is hopefully the first of many baby steps our nation takes towards a more positive, Christ-centered ideal. “Don’t ask, don’t tell” is not only a policy that protects our soldiers’ rights, but also protects the U.S. from its perpetual downward spiral.
Audrey Love is a undeclared freshman. She can be contacted at [email protected].