Dichotomy of dissention moves society forward

I’m very self-conscious. Because of this, I tend to remember every criticism that has ever been handed my way, constructive and otherwise. Recently, while daydreaming, I stumbled upon a memory from my carefree days in high school.
The memory is rather vague: I was having a conversation outside the school with my father for whatever reason, which was most assuredly not pleasant, and he turned to me and asked, “Micah, why do you enjoy being a dissenter?” (For those of you who don’t know my father, that may sound like awkward wording, but trust me—it’s deadly accurate).
The answer that I gave him at the time was probably one of misunderstood confusion, but after recently pondering over the matter, I have realized the dichotomy that accompanies the word and its meaning.
The word “dissenter” has a harsh connotation attached to it, and there is little doubt that is the connotation my father intended when he asked that question all those years ago.
But looking up the textbook definition of the word adds little credibility to those negative vibes attached to it; one definition merely states, “one who disagrees in matters of opinion, belief, etc.”
That’s right, we are all dissenters.
There is obviously not one person on this great green planet of ours that has never disagreed with someone, so it is inevitable that everyone has dissented, even if it’s only in his or her mind.
Now, fortunately I can recognize my own fault in logic, and agree that when one refers to a “dissenter” he or she are usually referring to an individual who disagrees in certain matters, with a larger “establishment” of people, not just one other person.
These groups can range from churches and political parties, to corporations and worldwide theories such as global warming. Question any of these and be labeled a full-blown “dissenter.”
It is when an individual finally works up the audacity to question the status quo that the positives of dissention can be seen.
Think of Martin Luther King Jr., any of the Founding Fathers, Jackie Robinson and Elizabeth Cady Stanton: all of these people are considered dissenters.
In many cases throughout our history, dissenters have been outcast, punished and even executed as a result of their actions. It is usually after the fact that the individuals are admired, and approval of their dissent is given. Only then is it okay to call them heroes, which is obviously what they had been all along.
It’s not always easy to spot beneficial dissention. Toleration for dissention must be a focal point for society if we wish to grow and learn from alternate ideas rather than the ones that already exist.
This means finding ways to deal with and address the dissenters themselves. On a personal level, dissention can oftentimes come off as disrespectful or foolish (especially if you’re suggesting a new business strategy to your boss) and can lead to unnecessary anger or resentment before an idea is even shared.
Upholding free speech statutes, communicating clearly and respectfully and keeping an open mind are all huge in accepting and benefiting from dissention.
Not every idea is lauded to begin with. Much like humans, ideas take time to mature; it is only after that time can one be sure of the significance.
Dissention has played a vital role in society since the beginning of time, and, in both the negative and the positive aspects, must not only continue, but also thrive.
Drifting back to that memory, if I had to answer my dad’s question today, I would probably reply with a question of my own, “Father, don’t you want our society to evolve?”
Of course, since I am the young buck, I am sure he would dissent.
Micah Green is a junior majoring in communication. He can be contacted at [email protected].