Debate showed flaws in both parties

Well folks, you can tell the election is almost here; the yard signs, the stickers being passed out in the Junction and of course the debates are in full swing. The first debate was last week, and it pitted Republican candidate Mitt Romney versus President Barack Obama. It was a complete barnburner.  
I thought it was one of the worst debates in recent memory. The moderation of the debate was handled horribly, and this allowed typical political sparring we have all become so accustomed to. The debaters were almost given free reign to speak and deviate off topic almost as much as they wanted.
The president, in one corner, looked like he had not prepared one minute, and in the other we had Romney, who came out swinging, but with what seemed to be a sense of desperation. Most people and news outlets have given Romney the win in the debate, but I don’t really see it like that. In fact, I think both should get the loss.
I thought nothing of substance was really said during this debate; it was bickering and fact correcting all night. I think the real loser from this debate, and campaign in general, is the American people.
To this day, I have yet to see either one of these candidates give the American people a plan to get our country back to where it belongs, at the top.  The president has taken the stance along the lines of “stay the course.” Granted, we have not seen the full effect of his first term policies.
Candidate Romney’s message seems to be repeal and return to what we used to have. I find Romney a very confused candidate. Some of the policies he implemented while he was governor, and wants to implement as president, do not differ much from what the president has already done. Yes, I am thinking health care here, people.
The vice presidential debates are coming up and the Romney campaign, if Paul Ryan does well, can use it to gain even more in battleground state polls.
I think the Obama campaign underestimated its competition and will come back more energized and better prepared for the next round of debates. This race is looking like a close one.
In the coming weeks the pressure is only going to mount on the candidates and their campaign teams to take the lead in the race and secure the most precious political gem in the country, the White House.