Scripture is not political propaganda

The 2012 presidential election has turned our laptops, smart phones and tablets into an interesting public forum allowing us to say anything and everything we feel about the presidential candidates we choose to support or berate. Facebook is a collaboration of opinion after opinion, no matter how educated or completely absurd.  We’re allowed to say anything we want. We put our first amendment rights to full use. The election is sensational.  I can handle the bantering for the most part. Freedom of speech means freedom of speech of the people I don’t agree with. My opinion is my own, and I like to think I have informed myself as much as I possibly can. I try to choose wisely what I share with the world. 
The one thing I can’t stomach, though, is seeing fellow Christians use scripture to push their own ideas on politics.  Christians believe the Bible is the infallible, inspired word of God. I agree with that statement, and I’d be happy to share why I believe, but that is another article for another time. 
In my opinion, twisting scripture to fit a political idea is just about the worst thing you could do with God’s word. Christians taking scripture out of context is not the best way to make others to be willing to listen to their views. Those who quote scripture out of context create a dangerous spark that can fan into something that will forever taint their witness to the world.  I’m specifically talking about a verse in Proverbs. “If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.” I saw this verse blow up my Facebook news feed after the vice presidential debates, in reference to Joe Biden. Whether or not you agree with Joe Biden as vice president, I think it is disrespectful to use scripture to further sensationalize your opinion of the debate and see how many likes you can get from your status. I also can’t help but wonder if these individuals would react the same way if Paul Ryan was the candidate to whom everyone was referring. 
However, if you truly believe Joe Biden is the fool in question from the context of this verse, I’d like to remind you of a few more passages in the Bible. Romans 13:1-2 says, “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed.” We have to be careful in toeing the line of expressing our opinions and disrespecting those in authority. No matter who wins the 2012 election, if you consider yourself a Christian, you are to be subject to governing authorities. 
If you fill Facebook with cruel comments ripping our commander in chief to shreds, not only are you showing you don’t trust God, you’re also disrespecting His commands.  If you think the platform of the candidate you support is unflawed, you are wrong.  Scripture also tells us to pray for our leaders. 1 Timothy 2 says, “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.” I talk with my father a lot about religion and politics. He’s one of the smartest people I’ve ever known, and I’ve always admired his ability to hear both sides of a story before a decision is made. He made a very valid point to me the other day. Some may find it difficult to wrap their heads around. He told me, “You can’t legislate morality.”  Christians refusing to respect their nation’s president will not resolve moral issues in our nation. Showing hatred toward others who differ in views.  For example, those who support gay marriage and abortion and other divisive issues will not make them change their minds.  I see a lot of Christians saying things like “this country has to turn back to Jesus,” and I couldn’t agree more.
But let’s take a second to examine what exactly that means. Jesus helped those in need. He healed the sick. He fed the hungry. He didn’t worry about their social class or if they were a Democrat or Republican (well, not then at least). He obeyed his heavenly father. He obeyed his earthly authorities. Above all, Jesus calls us to love one another. Love our enemies. Love those who persecute us. Love the people who are different than we are. Love the people who disagree with our religion, politics and views on issues. 
Christians, I encourage you all to pray for our leaders. Pray for our current president (he’s still president, by the way.) Pray for the man who will become our president in November.  Pray for Congress, senators and those who are responsible for governing our nation.