Non-smokers should be more open-minded

Before I delve into my first article for The Reflector, I’d like to explain a little bit about what I’ll be writing. In this article and those in the future, I plan on discussing topics which are considered by many to be “taboo.” Hopefully we can generate more conversation around campus concerning these topics and become comfortable debating them amongst each other. Let’s get started.
Over the past decade, tobacco policies have become increasingly strict. What started as a separation of smokers from non-smokers in buildings has evolved into a mass exodus of tobacco products from restaurants, bars and even the 25-foot patch of land surrounding building entrances. To me, these restrictions seem more than sufficient to ensure the non-smoking community continues to live in fresh-aired peace.  However, I believe my opinion is in the minority. 
There are many individuals and organizations that wish to completely eliminate the use of tobacco products from all public places, including the great outdoors.  The argument most of these organizations (including Smokefree Air Mississippi) focus on is the issue of secondhand smoke. 
We have all learned about the dangers of smoking and, more specifically, secondhand smoke.  Luckily, our country is still gracious enough to allow us to weigh the risks and make an educated, adult decision as to whether or not we choose to pick up the habit.  By denying people the right to use tobacco products (which, by the way, are legal for adults and taxed to benefit everyone) in public places, we are, for lack of a better phrase, sending “mixed signals,” and no one likes that, right?
The members of organizations pushing for a stricter tobacco policy maintain they are doing this for the health of the non-smoking community, and the many chemicals found in cigarette smoke are detrimental to the respiratory system of those passing by. 
However, some of these chemicals and those of equal danger are found in car exhaust, yet we still allow people to drive freely around public parks and even playgrounds. 
And yes, I understand there have been regulations implemented limiting the amount of exhaust cars are allowed to emit.  Perhaps, to mirror this, we should only allow smokers to open their mouths a certain number of centimeters in order to regulate the amount of smoke entering the atmosphere at one time.  I’m not sure, I’m not a scientist, but this seems impractical.
It is impossible to create a completely sterile and safe environment for ourselves and those we care about. The best we can do is to set moderate guidelines and then attempt to keep ourselves out of situations that we deem harmful. My suggestion to those who are worried about secondhand smoke is this: walk away from the smoke. Or, if you feel like you have more of a right to stand on a particular piece of public property, kindly ask the person smoking to move away from you. 
Usually disagreements like this can be handled by rational human beings on a case by case basis and do not need to be regulated by the government. To be honest, the cloud of body spray emanating from many students on campus is enough to trigger anyone’s gag reflex and is certainly not pleasant or healthy to breathe for long amounts of time. By walking around said persons someone can remove themselves from the offensive situation while allowing others to enjoy the right to over-perfume. This example is not intended to compare the effects of Axe to those of secondhand smoke. I realize studies have provided irrefutable evidence to illustrate the damage secondhand smoke can cause.  I’m merely making the point that on outdoor public property, I believe we can find room for both smokers and non to coexist peacefully.
I understand this is a touchy subject.  It is easy for each side to vilify the other, displaying members of non-smoking groups as closed-minded prohibitionists attempting to smother our liberty and smokers as uneducated heathens attempting to blow their cancerous bile into the lungs of Mississippi’s children. However, I believe that the nature of any good conflict resolution is compromise.  The system we have in place provides ample consideration for those who choose to use tobacco products and those who do not. 
It is time for all of us to pass the metaphorical peace pipe when it comes to this issue. Just make sure you’re at least 25 feet away from the nearest building entrance.