MSU trains faculty, staff

After Mississippi State University experienced a shooting scare several weeks ago, MSU President Mark Keenum called for the creation of the Training, Locks and Communication committee, comprised of members of the Crisis Action Team as well as other key members of MSU.
The TLC committee has been working since Aug. 27, the day of the incident, and has made steps to shore up multiple aspects of security and emergency response protocol. As the name would suggest, the primary goals  of the TLC committee are training for employees, locks and other physical security elements, and possible changes to the emergency communication systems such as the Maroon Alerts.
Vice President of Student Affairs, Regina Hyatt, who heads the Crisis Action Team, said that as of Sept. 21, the university has held six training sessions for MSU faculty and staff, of which over 500 people attended. Training sessions will continue, and training is available online for MSU employees. 
Hyatt also said they are currently working on a video directed at students that will be finished in the coming weeks as well as charts detailing information about how to respond to various emergency situations that will be placed in classrooms. 
In addition to the general employee training, Hyatt said building managers will undergo separate training sessions. These sessions are being run by Director of Parking, Transit and Sustainability Jeremiah Dumas in conjunction with Executive Director of Campus Services George Davis. 
Employee training will continue on a year to year basis, Hyatt said. 
“Training will take place regularly, not just on an active shooter responses but on all emergency procedures,” Hyatt said. 
Head of ITS, Mike Rackley, along with Associate Dean of Students Jeremy Baham and Security & Compliance Officer Tom Ritter, are in the process of discussing any changes that might be made to the communication system. 
Baham said  the TLC committee found no problems with the emergency broadcast system but said they are looking to see where it can be improved all the same. 
“We’ve made the decision to invite vendors to come to campus and show us what they can provide,” Baham said. 
Baham said those involved with the review of the communication system are trying to move quickly and he expects progress with the vendors to be made within weeks.