Depression amongst college students: Advice and support for fellow dawgs

Depression+resources
Bek Yake
Depression resources

A 2011 survey given by American College Health Association–National College Health Assessment taken by college students all across the United States found that roughly 30 percent of college students felt so deeply depressed at some point in the past year that it made it difficult for them to function. 

The National Center for Health Statistics reports suicide is the third leading cause of death amongst teens and young adults ages 15 to 24, and according to the Suicide Prevention Resource Center, about seven percent of college students admit to having seriously contemplated suicide. 

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines depression as being, “a serious medical condition in which a person feels very sad, hopeless and unimportant and often is unable to live in a normal way,” but as anyone who has battled with depression knows, depression is something that cannot simply be described and understood with words; it can only be felt. This article is a very personal one, as I too have battled with depression. In fact, bouts of depression still flare up every now and then, and you know what? That is okay. 

It is okay to not be okay. Yet, we insist on faking smiles and pretending like we are fine when we feel broken. We convince ourselves that we must face our inner demons  alone  and consequently drive ourselves deeper into the dark abyss of our past regrets, present discontent and fear of the future’s uncertainty. Trying to tackle depression sort of feels like trying to clean a room that is so cluttered and messy that you do not even know where to begin. The good news is, no matter how dirty the room may appear, it can be cleaned.

You may feel as though happiness is something you must obtain or achieve, but the truth of the matter is that the key to your happiness already lies deep within your heart. Cheesy, I know, but it is true. It is depression that makes finding that key so difficult, and so the first step in overcoming our depression and finding the key to our own happiness is to grasp an understanding of the reason(s) why we might be depressed.

Because depression is faced by so many different people for so many different reasons, it is relatively impossible to craft a “This is How You Overcome Your Depression” play-book. That would be too easy. Yet, there are several possible explanations that describe why so many college students are battling with depression at a time detrimental to the formation and solidification of our identities. Some of these explanations have made sense of the causes of my battle with depression.

Dr. Gregg Henriques of Psychology Today has proposed several of these logical explanations. One of these explanations suggests that constant exposure to “attractive, wealthy” individuals on social networking sites who “command attention” results in “problematic downward social comparisons.” In other words, the more the attractiveness, success and perceived happiness of others is thrown in your face every time you open your Facebook app, the more you view yourself as unattractive, unsuccessful and unhappy. 

I can attest to the truth of this as I struggled heavily with downward social comparisons. Almost everyone wants to look like their lives, jobs, relationships and families are all in perfect order, yet we all know that our own lives, jobs, relationships, and families are far from perfect. We are so often faced with this false illusion of “perfection” in the lives of others that we reach a tragic state where we expect unreachable perfection in our own lives. We do not realize how special, important and beautiful we are because we cannot stop comparing ourselves to everyone else. 

Another explanation asserts that, in spite of the benefits of living in a mostly science-driven world, when “science dethroned religion from its central place in society,” a “lack of a clear moral compass and existential purpose” became apparent. I also found this to be especially true, as having grown up in the Christian church and in a Bible-belt education system since I  was a small child, I was always taught that following Christ was the purpose of life. Upon beginning college, it became clear to me very quickly that I  did not know what I believed as I had never even contemplated whether or not “my” beliefs were ever truly mine. I also had not been exposed to the countless other religious and scientific theories about the origins and purpose of life. Suddenly, I found myself in the midst of an identity-crisis. How could I live a life of purpose if I did not know my purpose? The uncertainty I felt about morality, existence and truth kept me from finding joy and purpose in simple day-to-day activities. This uncertainty brought about a strong sense of vulnerability that left me depressed in more ways than one. My inability to understand all of life’s mysteries made me feel physically, mentally and spiritually vulnerable, and it took me quite a while to understand that there is nothing wrong with living a life of vulnerability. In fact, I believe author and University of Houston Graduate College of Social work professor Brené Brown said it best when she stated, “I spent a lot of years trying to outrun or outsmart vulnerability by making things certain and definite, black and white, good and bad. My inability to lean into the discomfort of vulnerability limited the fullness of those important experiences that are wrought with uncertainty: Love, belonging, trust, joy, and creativity to name a few. In other words, you do not have to know all of the answers; you just have to know that all life has purpose and that you are more intelligent, capable and special than you will ever know.

These are just a couple of examples of how I was battling with depression that are common to our generation, but as can be expected, everyone who is fighting a battle with depression is fighting their battle for different reasons. Henriques goes on to point to numerous other possible sources of depression such as the idolization of hedonistic and materialistic lifestyles, strong financial and academic pressure on students and the challenging nature of transitioning to the independence of adulthood. Other foreseeable causes of depression in college students also include periods of intense emotional trauma such as the end of an intimate relationship or coping with the loss of a loved one. The list goes on and on, and yet, I realized that as I began to identify the different causes of my depression, I gained a better understanding of what I needed to do to overcome my depression and find happiness through a true sense of self. 

Yes, it is true that if you are battling with depression it is your internal battle, but there is no reason you should fight it alone. Millions of people around the United States and the world have fought and overcome depression, and so can you. Reaching out to any family and/or friends about your depression is often vital to climbing out of the depressive hole you have might have fallen into. That being said, the level of depression you may be facing is the strongest determining factor as to how you should go about overcoming this dreaded state of mind or possible mental illness. Thankfully, we have professionals here at Mississippi State who genuinely care about you and are capable of helping you to both identify and overcome the source(s) of your depression. Our Student Counseling Services is located in Hathorn Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 8 p.m until 5 p.m. They can be contacted at 662-325-2091. If you have an emergency after operating hours or on the weekends, you can still contact a caring professional at the same number. 

I know that roughly 70 percent of you reading this may not be battling with depression, and perhaps you never will. However, one day you will likely find yourself feeling sad, heart-broken, lonely, confused or worthless because nobody is invincible to life’s darker days. When we help pull each other through these tough times, brighter days are always sure to follow. So, whether you are currently suffering from depression, anxiety or simple stress, know that you are bigger than your troubles, and if you do not know how to handle them, your fellow bulldogs are ready and able to help.