People of MSU: Lloyd Rashad ‘Ray Ray’ Rodgers, Face of MSU’s State Fountain Bakery

Taylor Bowden

Rodgers (pictured) has been working at MSU’s State Fountain Bakery since 2012 and bears the moniker ‘Ray Ray’ on his name tag. He is known by many to provide a friendly face and a job well done.

Behind the bakery display case of The State Fountain Bakery found inside of The Colvard Student Union are employees that help accommodate customers’ frequent appetites for various sandwich options or delicious desserts.
One staff member, Lloyd Rashad Rodgers, commonly known by his nickname “Ray Ray”, is popular among the many different customers of The Bakery. Rodgers is also known for his exceptional customer service skills and his friendly personality. 
Cashier, Kesha Johnson, who has been employed with The Bakery since 2012, described how customers show appreciation for “Ray Ray” by commenting on how he does his job well.
“He’s always willing to help with whatever someone needs help with,” Johnson said. 
Johnson described how “Ray Ray’s” smile is a great quality that sets him apart from others as well as his magnetic personality. 
“He’s always joking around with the customers and makes them feel good even when they come up and might be having a bad day,” Johnson said. “He talks to them and by the time they walk off, they’re smiling and they’re happy.” 
“I think “Ray Ray” is a great face of State Fountain Bakery, especially for students who have been here for a while,” Stephanie Sharp, marketing manager for MSU dining, said in expressing ways that he is special and unique. “He’s always very personable with our customers and is one of those people who makes a lasting impression.” Sharp said.
Sharp described “Ray Ray” as helpful, as he even goes as far as taking people desserts to patrons’ vehicles, is kind and patient with the various customers he serves daily and distinct because he forges new relationships with the customers. 
Sharp spoke about how “Ray Ray” does not just take orders and send customers “on their way”, but rather enjoys creating relationships with the customers which displays his courteous nature and outgoing personality. 
“He’s made some great relationships with students, whether it’s been at the old or new location,” Sharp said. “He’s been working with MSU dining for a while and when we moved from the old location to the new location the last day of operation, we had about fifteen to twenty students who wanted to take a picture with him out front before it moved,” Sharp said which showed “Ray Ray’s” impact. “It was great to see that they love him and that they loved the location, but he was also very good at telling them that he was not going away but literally moving to the building next door.” 
Sharp described Rodgers as being excellent “behind the scenes” with his bosses and also great with “front line service” among his customers.
Rodgers, a full time employee with The State Fountain Bakery, from West Point, MS, who works as both a cashier and a server, has been a part of the operation for about four years. 
Rodgers said he enjoys serving items from the bakery, interacting with and complimenting people, as well as making individuals happy. 
Rodgers is grateful that through the job he has been able to meet people that are different than himself and has been able to build meaningful bonds with people that just stop by to see him. 
In reference to what “Ray Ray” wishes to be known for by his customers he said, “I want them knowing that they can go to a place and if they’re having a bad day they can go there and I’ll put a smile on their face.” Rodgers also desires to be known for his helpfulness to The Bakery’s numerous customers. 
Rodgers stressed the importance of maintaining a stable mindset and continuing to smile at customers even on busy days, such as potential student’s preview days or game days. 
“Teamwork is very important. It makes it much easier on the other workers when everybody is doing their part,” Rodgers said. “The day goes by so swell when everybody is working together as one.” 
“I wouldn’t trade my job for anything in the world at this point,” Rodgers said. Rodgers can be found on weekday mornings and afternoons greeting and serving customers of The State Fountain Bakery with much pride for his job. Rodgers’ compassion and cordiality makes The Bakery a great spot to visit on campus and those that meet “Ray Ray” will leave encouraged and have a great reason to return.