Kendrick Lamar redefines rap music with honesty

Kendrick Lamar came onto the scene inconspicuously enough, though his reputation was established swiftly. Throughout his fledgling yet ever-burgeoning career, he has found a path that meanders somewhere between reverent and racy. He has thrived both commercially and critically. Many artists have attempted to walk this line, but few have approached his success. To their credit, many rappers have sought this hallowed ground of artistic prowess with sincerity, but few have found it. And if Kendrick Lamar has not found it yet himself, he leads those in the search. Most familiar with his work will note his vast musical wheelhouse and pensive approach as both keys to his success as well as the keynote of his appeal.  

In late 2012, Lamar released the seminal album, “good kid, m.A.A.d city,” a widely lauded effort that solidified his position in higher realms of rap repute. This album brought Lamar seven Grammy nominations. But this good fortune has seemingly left Lamar unfazed, himself not one to linger in the limelight and promote his own achievements. He has been known for his low-key ways: a recent Billboard magazine interview revealed bits of his surprisingly inconspicuous lifestyle. Also divulged, though never secretive, was the depth of his contemplative nature. His appreciation for spiritual, substantial things instructs his music, as avid listeners have long known. And Lamar’s social consciousness is unmistakably astute, as his fearlessness in attending to the pressing issues of the times indicates, be the concerns personal or societal. This communicative deftness is where Lamar shines brightest, as his intimate lyrics draw listeners in close. 

In fact, the sheer frankness of Lamar’s music constitutes the bulk of its allure for me. As vulnerability in rap has become increasingly desirable, full disclosure-of-consciousness is the price of participation in the modern rap industry. Lamar pays the fee gladly, not simply for style, but presumably out of a genuine concern for authenticity. And for a genre that has always valued honesty, almost nothing is off-limits. Accordingly, it is expected that some of what is said will be a bit strong for some segments of the audience of this newspaper. That said, this does in no way license negligent rappers to proffer licentious and dissolute material. Many get away with it, but in time there will be a winnowing, with rappers and with us all. Of course much of rap has more commonly been associated with embellishment and vice, but it has since its genesis provided an excellent forum for those with thoughtful things to say. As marginalized as rap has at times been, there have always been those interested in offering reflection and hope, Lamar being among the vanguard. The Compton-bred artist has not been bashful in expressing convictions, even ones that are unpopular. The story of his life has been told through several albums, with little reservation and with a full embrace of reality as it is.

The ante was upped even further last fall, as Lamar released the single “i,” representing a fascinating exploration of classic sampling and upbeat sensibilities. From my perspective, this track reached new heights of artistry and approached stylistic perfection, representing as great a triumph as anything he’s yet created. In the groovy number, we hear a cause of hope championed through pain; generally jubilant vibes pervade. More recently, the raucous new track “The Blacker the Berry,” released last Monday,  is even more extreme than anything previously released, building the hype further for the upcoming release of his fourth album. True to form, Lamar uncompromisingly addresses topics of social significance and historical depth on this new single. Consider the envelope sufficiently pushed. Lamar speaks with an aggression yet unheard, and his voice quakes with passion drawn from somewhere deep within. Racial tension is the focal point, receiving harsh critique. A broken society steeped in violence and prejudice is something at which Lamar takes precise aim. The social commentary will fall heavy on unsuspecting listeners – this is not casual fare at all. It is reflective as ever and also as abrasive. Kendrick’s storied past has been shared generously through song, yet the message that arises in “The Blacker the Berry” is less of a familiar narrative of past struggle than it is an exposition of present turmoil within himself and those of like-mind, as well as the cultural gridlock that still keeps America fractured. Criticism cuts like a sharp knife here, but sharper is the ignorance that would form a dangerous weapon in the hands of a less capable artist. With Lamar at the helm, what offensiveness that may be perceived through this very blunt song will be mitigated by his open concession of his own failings. In the track we hear every verse begin with “I’m the biggest hypocrite of 2015,” and by the end of the song we begin to understand why. The whole song details certain aspects of black consciousness in this country, and ends with a very candid challenge to the perspectives that preceded it. Lamar displays great scrupulousness by refusing to condemn others for sins of racism and hate while leaving himself free of judgment. This must be kept at the forefront of any estimation of his motivations; careless dismissals of his music as slanderous propaganda will halt progress even more than the division he may be accused of inciting. 

With Lamar’s progression, we receive new challenges with each new groove. Perceptive listeners have come to expect this, and those who follow closely just might be rewarded with valuable insight. If anything is to be drawn from Kendrick Lamar’s most recent contribution, as well as his whole body of work, it is that transparency will lead us toward greater wholeness, both individually and collectively. The multi-faceted nature of his music will ensure his longevity and impact, and if allowed, it will continue to build bridges and break down walls as well. Ultimately, I believe Kendrick does not want rivalry, but cooperation among all people who hear his music. And it is no small comfort to have such an influential cultural spokesman remain discerning and even-handed in his assessments as well as his craft. The inclusiveness Lamar stands for can bring unity within the diversity, as his own admission in an interview with Power 99 Radio speaks well of his broadly-distributed charm: “You can’t really categorize my music, it’s really just human music.” 

Perhaps we could all stand to share more commonalities and speak first on common ground rather than across divides. Perhaps we need more human music, and with it, more humanity.