Understanding of immigration necessary

I believe what many people search for in life is happiness and the ability to live without constant worry  of survival.  Here in the United States, as well as other developed countries around the world, immigration has become a growing issue that often proves to be difficult. I believe we have to try and discover workable solutions to help save lives and move on to better long-term strategies.  

According to The Guardian, as many as 700 people are believed to have drowned aboard a boat, which capsized in Libyan waters heading for Italy. When the boat was first discovered, only 27 survivors were rescued with a number of lifeless bodies left floating in the sea.  According to the United Nations, an estimated 31,500 migrants made the journey across the Mediterranean Sea to Greece and Italy since the beginning of the year.  We are witnessing a growing epidemic that must be tackled before it worsens to thousands of people risking their lives to escape to new land.  These are men, women and children who are losing their lives at an alarming rate. These are human beings, who are just like us.  It is sad to know some lives seem to be worth more or less than others because of where they originate or what they do in life. 

The particular ship that capsized over the weekend involved elements of human trafficking, but fortunately, resulted in the ship’s captain and a crew member being arrested. It is hard to fathom there are so many bad people in the world who willfully take advantage of those searching for new hope.  I am writing this article to shine a light on this epidemic and hopefully change the way we handle immigration.  

Immigrants traveling from developing countries are often seen as less. More governments should learn to work together more effectively to help bring more stability and safety in developing countries. According to ABC News, Italian Premier Matteo Renzi pushed for Europe prevent boats from entering countries like Libya, which accounts for nearly 90 percent of the migration into the country. European countries such as Spain, Greece and Italy, which many migrants travel to, are facing their own economic problems.  These countries have their own difficulties inside their countries to effectively handle what happens at their borders. There are many factors that should be considered.  I remember walking around different cities in Spain, noticing the large number of immigrants.  While there, a friend from Spain encouraged me to keep a copy of my passport on my person at all times because I might have been stopped and questioned by police (for not appearing like the rest of the population). This was shocking at first, but I realized it could be beneficial if I listened to his advice. 

My heart goes out to those who embark on a journey not knowing what lies ahead, occasionally resulting in even more danger or death.  Many of us live our lives comfortably without worries, while others around the world are destroyed daily and families are being torn apart.  We each live different lives from the people next to us and compassion can break language barriers to better understand problems we do not have to face everyday.

aks language barriers to better understand the problems we don’t have to face everyday.