Dogs in local cemeteries stir community debate

Cemetery
Emily Baker
Cemetery

The City of  Starkville continues to battle the ongoing issue of pet owners allowing their dogs to desecrate local cemeteries. In light of this issue, there have been many distraught residents because owners are permitting dogs to use the bathroom on or around graves. Currently, there are three city-owned cemeteries. There are two on University Drive and one on Martin Luther King West/ Highway 182. 
Parker Wiseman, Mayor of Starkville, said the Board of Aldermen have received many complaints about the dogs and they are working steadily to correct the issue.
“The   board   is going to seek further advisement from the Cemetery Association on how they will proceed,” Wiseman said. “The Board is committed to having an open dialogue with both the public at large and the Cemetery Association as to what future pet policies should exist. Punishments for those who continue to not clean up after their pets will also be discussed.”
Bill     Green,     administrator for the city cemeteries, said that while the Cemetery Association’s meeting is not until September, they are currently awaiting some ideas to be approved. 
“Our city planner is developing signs for all our city cemeteries. There is also a move to provide more doggie bags and garbage cans. The garbage cans will not be limited to just the cemeteries but for the length of University. We have seen an increase in trash all up and down University.”
Green said that the pets misusing cemeteries is definitely an ongoing issue that the City needs to address.
“This problem is not specific to just one cemetery, but to all three. Unfortunately, the one on University is in the spotlight because it’s in the Cotton District,” Green said. “The Cemetery Association’s biggest concern is that owners are not cleaning up after their dogs. This is very problematic for Starkville as a whole, but especially the Cotton District.”
Scott  Maynard, Alderman for Ward 5, said they noticed the problem early in the summer and the meeting to address the problem was held on August 19th.
“The Board discussed the matter and proposed that the Cemetery Association should come up with a draft resolution for the action they want to be taken in the future. They will discuss it during their September meeting.”
Maynard said he hopes in the future pet owners will take responsibility for themselves and their pets.
“The City wants to encourage pet owners to clean up after their dogs regardless of where they are in the city,” he said. Our main concern about this is to protect the sanctity of the cemetery and to make sure that residents are responsible pet owners.”