SMART Shuttle changes seek to accommodate students, faculty

Shuttle
Emma Katherine Hutto
Shuttle

The Starkville-MSU Area Rapid Transit system shuttles began running across the city of Starkville on Jan. 6., and now, after eight months of service, the transit system has carried over 300,000 commuters, both on and off campus. 
Beginning this fall, two SMART shuttle routes face changes. Forest Products that was first served by the South Loop, has now been added to the Sportsplex Express route, and Oak and Magnolia Hall, which were not served earlier by SMART, have now been added to the South Loop.
Niraj Palsule, a junior chemical engineering major and a SMART shuttle commuter, said for the first two days the Sportsplex shuttle carried commuters to the Sportsplex before it dropped them off at Forest Products.
“Such a route map caused inconvenience to those that used the Forest Product stop to board and de-board the shuttle because they had to wait for over 25 minutes even though the shuttle passed by their apartments,” Palsule said.
Myron Douglas, graduate student at MSU and a daily commuter of the SMART shuttle, said a change of this sort without consulting the people that use the product is not practicing good business.
“What bothered me most is that I have never once seen any of the administrative person riding those shuttles and see what the experience of the student is. They have no first-hand knowledge of what the student is going through,” Douglas said.
On Wednesday afternoon the administration revamped the route and the sportsplex shuttle began serving the Forest Products stop twice in one loop.
Palsule said this  change will avoid further inconvenience.
“I highly praise the quick and appropriate action taken by the transit department. A further scope for improvement would be to reduce the waiting time between shuttles by increasing the number of shuttles on this route,” he said.
Douglas also said he is pleased that the department made this change.
Jeremiah Dumas, director of parking, transit and sustainability at MSU, said every year the department evaluates the shuttle system and looks for ways to improve the system.
“Due to traffic and construction, we are trying to shorten routes and keep the routes either in the north or south parts of campus. Forest Products was moved to the Sportsplex Route to shorten the South Route, and because the sportsplex shuttle was already driving by the Forest Products lab. It just made sense to use that route instead of the South Loop,” Dumas said. “By shortening the South Loop, we were able to add a shuttle stop in the South Residential Zone between Oak and Rice hall. This area was previously not serviced by the transit system, and by adding this stop, we now have connected to the many students in that zone.”
Ward 5 Alderman Scott Maynard said if students have complaints they can call the transportation office.
“The routes are set by the MSU Transportation Committee. I know they have reached out to students for feedback and are making adjustments to meet the needs of all students. They are constantly evaluating to achieve the best route possible to meet the needs of the maximum number of students,” Maynard said.
Dumas said there has been no cutback in service.
“The routes have all grown or adjusted. We have extended our operating hours from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. to 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. We also now have an evening route on campus,” he said. “Feedback is always welcome and is appreciated. We constantly receive praise, ideas and thoughts. We appreciate them all.”
If students have a complaint or a suggestion, they can call the transit office at 325-5204.