‘Home for the holidays’ to channel Christmas spirit

‘Tis the season to be jolly for Mississippi State University Libraries as they host their “Home for the Holidays” Christmas Gala to spread holiday cheer on campus. 
Students, faculty, staff and the Starkville community are encouraged to come out to view the special holiday-themed exhibits in the library on Sunday, Nov. 23 from 2 p.m to 5 p.m. Local authors and artists will be in-house along with interactive crafts and children’s activities. Former MSU First Lady Tommie Zacharias will begin the festivities with the lighting of the tree. Roy Ruby will read “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” and Sid Salter will read “Yes, Virginia.”
Holiday music will include string groups, vocalists and pianists. Patrons can enjoy visiting with several authors and artists. Quilters, basket weavers, yarn crafters and a carver will demonstrate their arts.
“Holiday events hosted on campus are special for students who may not have the opportunity to go home and celebrate with their families” said Roderick Erby, junior BIS major.  “I think that it’s a great idea to have things like this, to get everyone in the holiday spirit during the stressful times of final exam week.”
Leilani Salter, administrative assistant to the Dean, said she will serve as the event’s chairman this year. 
“Since many of our students are away from home for extended periods, I think events such as these give them a feeling of home,” Salter said. “We want them to always feel welcome here and always find a friendly and helpful staff in their educational journey.” 
Santa will visit with the children and parents are encouraged to bring a camera. A cookbook will be available for purchase for $10 and will benefit the Friends of the Library. “Bulldog Hospitality: Good Food from the Mississippi State University Libraries” includes over 100 recipes contributed by 30 members of library faculty and Friends of the Library.
According to MSU Libraries, the Christmas gala was the creation of Dean of Libraries Frances Coleman. Coleman wanted to provide guests a festive afternoon to kick off the Christmas season and showcase the many collections, artifacts and memorabilia housed in the vaults of the library’s Special Collections department. The gala is a group effort that takes several months to complete with the help of many volunteers. The gala committee determines the theme, and the gala is planned around the theme. 
Along with holiday exhibitions and readings, an oil painting of Ulysses S. Grant will be unveiled at 3:30 p.m. in the U.S. Grant Presidential Library on the first floor of the library. Painted in 1868 by James Reid Lambdin, the portrait is on loan for one year from Jim Small of Las Vegas, Nevada.