Reevaluation overcomes students’ education crises

Before beginning my college experience, I did not expect to confront the concept of a mid-college crisis. I barely believed in the existence of a mid-life crisis. But now that I have reached my junior year, the first ailment has hit with great force.

I’m not talking about doubting whether or not attending college was a good idea – the answer is absolutely yes. For me, the mid-college crisis has manifested itself as a wish that I had chosen a different major. Many people, myself included, come to college with a major, and furthermore a career, firmly fixed in their brains. They don’t give much consideration to other options. With almost five semesters under my belt, I’ve suddenly found myself thinking, “I should’ve studied criminal justice and pursued a career in the FBI,” or “I should’ve become an elementary school teacher.”

One of the main causes of feelings like these in students probably stems from the fact we have so many options in the first place. As Americans we’re presented with endless choices from the moment of birth, from food to clothes to extracurricular activities. 

Too many options can cause us to become anxious and indecisive. 

Everyday we’re forced to make decisions until we’re conditioned to expect them in everyday life. I admit to having “buyer’s remorse” over something as simple as a restaurant order. Surely there must be a way to combat this growing problem of discontentment in college.  

Now I’m not suggesting we go to a totalitarian form of government in which everyone’s told which career path they must follow. Choices create a diverse and rich society, as long as they do not get in the way of the actual “doing” society needs.  

The thing about college is we have ample time to make our decision. According to a study performed by Penn State University, up to 50 percent of college students change their majors at least once before graduation. 

In my case, it didn’t even cross my mind to switch – I loved my choice. 

However, once the reasonable period of time to change ended, I, and I’m sure many others, regretted not choosing something else.

One way to deal with this mid-college crisis is to remember all of the reasons you chose your major in the first place. There’s a good chance it has a special place in your heart. Passion for what we do is irreplaceable.  

On the flip side, I don’t believe we should take years to find ourselves. Pick something and do your best. So what if it’s not the perfect career? It’s hard to take down a person who works hard and develops a skill. 

For the future, keep in mind the fact your dream job might not be available immediately upon graduation. This doesn’t mean your specialized college training has gone to waste. Instead, take a job and work in earnest toward your goals.  

If you struggle with a mid-college crisis, fear not. You may still change your major, but for those who don’t want to severely delay graduation, stick with it. Chances are you’re a splendid candidate for the career you imagined in the first place.