MSU’s first African-American student delivers speech Tuesday

Public Affairs | Courtesy Photo
Richard E. Holmes

Forty-nine years ago, Richard E. Holmes significantly created history at Mississippi State University as the first African-American student at MSU and he returns as an alumnus Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the Foster Ballroom of the Colvard Student Union.
The Holmes Cultural Diversity Center at MSU sponsors the free public program, “Leading Out Front: A conversation with Dr. Richard Holmes.” HCDC, originally titled the Office of Minority Affairs, was re-named in honor of the Starkville native in 1991.
Admitted to MSU on July 19, 1965, Holmes simply sought a higher education, with no desire of a public spotlight. In 1969, Holmes received his liberal arts degree from MSU. After finishing and receiving his master’s in microbiology in 1973, Holmes successfully proceeded to become a medical doctor in 1977 at Michigan State University.
Holmes has received accolades that merit his work and outstanding status.He was recognized as alumnus of the year in 2006, received an honorary doctorate of science in 2011 and became a staff physician at the Longest Student Health Center in 2003.
Timothy Fair, program coordinator for HCDC, said Holmes’s visit will feature a discussion where Holmes will talk about his life, journey and experiences, and a session will follow with an opportunity for questions and answers from those attending.
“He is a very unassuming man, very humble, full of wisdom, very practical and easy to approach,” Fair said. “It gives me hope for the future of Mississippi and the country that we’re constantly changing to be inclusive to groups. I think his visiting MSU helps to further shift evolution in everyone’s thinking.” 
Fair said he recalls meeting Holmes during training for HCDC’s peer mentors in August 2013. 
“What first struck me about Holmes is that he’s not someone who carries their weight around, and he’s comfortable in his skin,” Fair said. “When you meet him, you’ll learn he didn’t enroll to make a statement or to cause controversy. He was truly seeking a higher education.”
Having never been acquainted with Holmes, Megan Bray, a peer mentor of HCDC’s P.A.W.S. program, said she is looking forward to meeting the man.
“Although I am not African-American, I feel that it always takes that person to take the first step,” Bray said. “Holmes made it comfortable for students to follow in his footsteps. He made it easy for students of other ethnicities to come to this school as well. It challenged MSU and Mississippi with a new way that had been paved.”
Chris Payne, peer mentor for HCDC’s P.A.W.S. program, recalls Holmes’s light and humorous personality upon meeting Holmes last August.
“My shirt was tight and he pointed to my arms and asked if I worked out,” Payne said. “He’s a pretty funny guy, but what makes him special involves more than simple history and the organizations. It’s about what he stood for without trying to stand for anything.”
Payne said Holmes shared a story of his grandmother of importance of education within him, something that motivated Holmes to come to MSU.
“He just did what he thought was right, and it turned out to be a great sentiment,” Payne said
Jerell Colston, executive member of HCDC’s P.A.W.S. program, said HCDC tries to invite Holmes every spring semester specifically for his advice about the political climate and his input regarding HCDC.
“To move forward you have to know where you came from before you know where you’re headed,” Colston said. “MSU really pushes for diversity, and with people like Dr. Holmes visiting it really gives you motivation to keep pushing forward.”