New police chief appointed

Tim Potts, Mississippi State University’s newly-appointed police chief, hails from Brookston, Ill., and brings 23 years of law enforcement experience with him to the MSU Police Department. 
Potts’s appointment pends formal approval by the State Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees. Potts is expected to begin his work May 15. 
Potts has worked at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind., since 1997.
Potts has served as captain of patrol operations since 2003 and has led and managed a division including 30 officers and 12 dispatchers. Potts also oversaw departmental training and coordination of security arrangements for athletic events, convocations and other special events. 
Potts was lieutenant of support services, sergeant of training and operations and patrol/community policing officer before his stint at Purdue. Additionally, he earlier served as a member of the West Lafayette Police Department and Monticello, Ind., Sheriff’s Department.  
In an MSU news release, Potts said he feels humbled and honored by his selection to serve the MSU community as police chief. 
“I am looking forward to listening to the students, staff and faculty on issues important to them and working collaboratively,” he said. 
The campus community and university’s highest priorities are their security and safety,  according to a statement from Bill Kibler in a MSU news release, MSU’s vice president for student affairs. 
“Our exceptional and nationally-accredited police department is a critical component in assuring the safety of our campus,” he said. “We are excited about Tim Potts as our new chief; he brings extensive experience and outstanding leadership abilities to our police department.”
Kibler also said he feels confident Potts will lead the campus police department in a positive direction. 
“Working together with the excellent team we have at UPD, Tim will be able to lead us to even higher levels of professionalism, performance and innovation,” Kibler said.
For more information about the MSU Police Department, visit police.msstate.edu.