Alpha Delta Pi sorority arrives at MSU, rush begins soon

Alpha Delta Pi sorority will recolonize at Mississippi State University and will host recruitment sessions next week followed by a bid day on Saturday, Jan. 26.
Sarah Steele Banks, senior leadership consultant and University of Georgia graduate, said representatives and other ADPi members will be on campus to help recruit.                                                  
“Since we don’t have anybody at Mississippi State as an ADPi, we’re bringing in alumnae sisters and collegiate sisters from nearby chapters to help us recruit,” she said. “And then the women that get the bids on bid day will be the founding members of this chapter.”
Banks also said once the women who get bids receive their charter, it will be recognized with the original members of the sorority.
“As a recolony, that means we were here from the 60s to the 80s and then we shut down,” she said. “We’re coming back so we’ll have on our wall, when we hang our charter, we’ll have the original charter and then the recolony charter so we actually have two founding classes, which is special.”
The sorority originally chartered at MSU in the 1960s, but due to a lack of funding, disbanded.
“The 80s was kind of a tough time for Greeks in general, and this is when houses started going up, and we didn’t have the funds to build a house,” Banks said. “So without the funds, we didn’t get the house and we eventually decided to shut down until we had the money to build the house. Once we had the money to get the house, we had to wait for Mississippi State to then say, ‘We’re ready for you to come.'”
Banks also said the sorority is scheduled to initiate and install its new members April 13 and 14, and begin construction on its new house, projected to be completed in August 2014.
It will be located on the lot behind the Phi Delta Theta house.
Banks said recruitment registration is now available and open to anyone.
“They can register through our Facebook application. They’ll put all their registration information on there, which includes everything from ‘what did you do in high school’ to ‘what have you done while you’re in college?,” Banks said.
She said next potential members will get the opportunity to speak with current ADPi sisters. 
“Then they will go through a ‘tell us about you’ session and this is mutual interview,” Banks said. “This is when they’ll sit down with another ADPi sister and just talk.”
Laura Stewart, leadership consultant and Appalachian State University graduate, said a team of alumnae involved with recruitment will be on campus to proctor the interview sessions.
“We have a team of older ADPi alumnae who have been involved to serve on the actual recruitment team for the interviews,” Stewart said. “That’s anything from national officers who will oversee the direction of this chapter in the long term from other volunteers who work with ADPi or the Alpha Delta Pi Foundation. So those will be the people doing the interviews.”
For more information on recruitment and sessions, visit Facebook.com/MSUADPi or follow @MSUADPi on Twitter.