Fast food: enough is enough

In a rare moment of recreational television time, a new commercial caught my attention. I had to suppress a laugh as Burger King’s “French Fry Burger” made its debut on the screen in front of me. Once again, fast food companies came up with creative ways to produce low-priced items that are weighted with sodium and fat.

As exhibited by the Doritos Locos Taco, innovations in the fast food world are nothing new. However, the French Fry Burger can hardly qualify as an innovation. The combination of salt-laden fries and a mediocre burger do not meet the alchemic standards food modernization requires. For example, making a pretzel into a bun adds texture and flavor to the overall burger or hot dog. Turning a taco shell into a nacho cheese-dusted chip intensifies and complements the filling of the taco. Adding deep-fried potatoes to a bun is nothing more than an overdose of carbs and calories.

As more people realize the obesity epidemic in the United States, fast food companies should react with healthier options. While some companies have added wraps and salads to their menus for a “healthier” option, the addition isn’t always what it seems. If you find yourself ordering a salad under the Golden Arches, you would be better off splurging for the double cheeseburger. At 450 calories, the Premium Southwest Salad with Crispy Chicken provides you with 21 grams of fat. That’s at least half of the suggested daily total fat intake for anyone. The double cheeseburger rings in at 440 calories.

The only guaranteed way to maintain a healthy body is to refrain from eating junk food under any circumstances — but that’s unrealistic. I’ve tried time and time again to cut fast food out of my diet completely. However, as a college student with a weakness for French fries, I find myself in the Wendy’s drive-thru at least once a week.

In these situations, I am forced to remind myself that moderation is key. Mississippi just recently lost its title of “Most Obese State” to Louisiana. Personally, I’d like to see Mississippi continue to drop on the list. There is no need to super-size the meal, and that slathering of mayonnaise only adds more calories and fat to the meal. It doesn’t hurt to add a workout goal to that drive-thru grub either. Southern doesn’t have to mean sizable.