Express yourself: body serves as a canvas

Stretched out on a table, with the most obnoxious buzzing in my ear, I anxiously awaited the pain I knew would ensue in only seconds. I gritted my teeth as the needle touched my skin and began to inject ink into my body. However, the physical pain of my second tattoo paled in comparison to the anxiety I felt about showing this new ink to my grandmother.
   Although only one of my tattoos is visible, I receive disapproving glances at least once a day. Teachers, fellow students and even co-workers shake their head in disapproval at a (barely noticeable) wrist tattoo. I, on the other hand, see my body as a canvas.
  Tattoos don’t usually bring much controversy into the news world. However, Miss Kansas recently decided to bare both of her tattoos at the Miss America pageant. The 22-year-old National Guard sergeant was the first contestant to ever show tattoos in the pageant. During the swimsuit competition, the eyes of judges and viewers alike were drawn to the serenity prayer on Theresa Vail’s side and the military medical insignia on her shoulder.
  Perhaps Vail’s most outspoken opposition comes from Donald Trump. Trump, who holds a prominent position in the Miss Universe organization, said that Miss Universe doesn’t “encourage” tattoos.
   Miss Kansas said on her blog that her platform for the pageant was to empower women to overcome stereotypes. She even said she would feel like a hypocrite if she covered the ink.
  Some of the most beautiful works of art I’ve seen have been on a person’s body. Sure, some people end up with a spring break tattoo that they try to hide for the rest of their life. Others end up with beautiful tributes to people or ideas. Even more put ink on their body in an obscure way that makes sense only to them.
   Tattoos, when thought out, are works to be appreciated. My face eases into a smile when I look at my tattoos. Tattoos are a form of communication and expression. Whereas some people see tattoos as a reason to refrain from conversation with a person, I embrace it.
  While older generations frown upon tattoos — my grandparents chastised mine at first — body ink has become a more acceptable trend. Employers are (slowly) becoming less opposed to the idea of an employee with tattoos.
    “So, tell me about your tattoo,” seems to open up more room for communication than any other opening line of conversation. More often than not, people you know have tattoos of which you aren’t aware.  However, you probably shouldn’t get a tattoo tomorrow because you’ve always wanted one. Take some time. Consider your options. Decorate your flesh canvas, if you wish.