FACES: Henry Isaac demonstrates loyalty as he celebrates 60 years of service at MSU

Emma Katherine Poindexter

Henry Isaac, long-time Perry cafeteria worker, found a passion for food when he started serving MSU students in 1963.

Mississippi State University’s Henry Isaac, chef at Perry Cafeteria, has mixed his love for students with his talent of cooking and has served MSU for 60 years.
Isaac was born in 1936, and he and his late wife raised three children together. Isaac started his career at State in 1953 by cleaning up trash with his father.
Isaac said he knew he wanted to work in the kitchen when he smelled the food.
“I first started washing glasses for about a year and a half. I’ve always loved cooking. It started at home. Then I knew I wanted to do it here,” Isaac said.
Bill Broyles, assistant vice president for Student Affairs, said he has worked with Isaac for 34 wonderful years.
“Henry is a great colleague, and if you want to see what devotion looks like, just look at Henry. He is truly a one-of-a kind person, and anyone who ever meets Henry would look up to him,” Broyles said.
Throughout his years at MSU, Isaac said he has seen many historical changes on campus.
“When I first started here, there were dairy departments, animals and farmland to the highway. Now there are dormitories taking their place. I started cooking meals in what is now the union, and my priorities were always keeping the students happy. When students are satisfied, I am satisfied,” Isaac said.
Isaac also said he witnessed the first 10 African-American students transition to MSU around 1960. He said integration united MSU and was a beautiful thing to witness.
Lloyd Rodgers, cashier at the State Fountain Bakery, said Isaac really combines love with dedication when preparing meals.
“I love his pasta entrées, and whenever I see him, he is always smiling and open to talk about anything. He is like a role model for me, and being that I love to work with food as well, I hope to be in his position one day,” Rodgers said.
As well as being a role model, La’Tia Davis, freshman biological sciences major, said Isaac has helped to make her transition to college easier.
“He is a really sweet and nice person. The fact that he has been here so long makes him very knowledgeable about MSU, and with this being my first year, a friendly and helpful person is exactly what I needed. With his uplifting spirit and daily kindness, he is really like a father figure to me,” Davis said.
Isaac displays positivity and school pride when it comes to being part of MSU.
“I’m not in a hurry to leave. I’m 77 years old, and I can still come out and work just like anyone else can. I’m going to start going to ball games, too, just to be in the atmosphere,” Isaac