Could six years of high school be the future?

High school takes four years to complete and earn a diploma. In today’s economy, that diploma is virtually worthless for students wanting to earn more than $15 per hour. It has become a necessity for students to receive a post-secondary education in something of higher value than a diploma, such as an associate’s degree, a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree. A new innovation in education could solve this issue and eliminate a step in the education ladder. 
   The future of the United States economy lies in a six-year high school system. Rana Foroohar wrote an article for “TIME” titled, “To Compete, America Needs 6-Year High Schools.” In her article, she tells of President Obama’s visit to a school in Brooklyn, N.Y., that has implemented this six-year system for free. This school called Pathways in Technology Early College High School, or P-TECH for short, is the first school in the nation that connects high school, college and the world of employment. The students complete grades 9-14, and when a student graduates, he or she will have earned a high school diploma and an associate’s degree. The school offers many paid internship opportunities at companies like IBM, and students are first in line after they graduate for full-time jobs at IBM. Also, companies like Microsoft and Cisco are signed on to work with other schools in development in Chicago, New York and other cities nationwide.
    In the future, when this system becomes more common throughout the U.S., it could eliminate the need for junior colleges. If students could earn a degree that will increase their future income and possibly shave time off of their time spent in pursuit of a degree, they could bypass the junior college stage and jump straight into their career or their bachelor’s degree. This six-year high school system could also give students a wide choice of paths to take after high school. With this system students would not have to necessarily have to attend four-year colleges. To take it a step further, this system could eliminate a lot of competition within four-year colleges and universities and cause  these colleges and universities to lower their tuition to attract students to attend. 
 In Foroohar’s article, she states that of the 14 million new jobs that will be created in this country over the next decade, nearly all will require at least a two-year associate’s degree. Not only does P-TECH offer an associate’s degree with its diploma, but in the curriculum the students are “taught how to present themselves in meetings, speak in public, argue their points constructively, all the things you need to thrive in the corporate world,” Foroohar said. 
  President Obama praised the school in his State of the Union Address earlier this year. He said, “We need to give every American student opportunities like this.” I agree with President Obama. This system could help raise the percentage of students who graduate both high school and college because it gives them incentive and knowledge, and they can earn their diploma and a degree all in one. I would have appreciated the opportunity these students at P-TECH received. It could have allowed me to be ahead in the workforce or take a break between degrees. I hope future generations realize the benefits of this upcoming system versus the view it is a waste of time.