‘Remember the Titans’ coach speaks Tuesday

Through a collaborative effort between the Student Association Outdoor and Film Committee and the SA Speakers Committee, Mississippi State University will host a meet and greet with the iconic Coach Herman Boone, the man whose story was represented in “Remember the Titans.”
“Remember the Titans,” based on a true story, depicts the events that took place in Alexandria, Va., in 1971 when African-American football coach Herman Boone, played by Denzel Washington, was hired to direct an integrated team that fought against each other rather than with each other at T.C. Williams High School. In addition to racial animosity embedded within the Titans’ team, there is also tension between Boone and his white assistant coach, Bill Yoast. 
Slowly and tirelessly, the men work together to transform a group of angry and confused players into a respectable team. In the process, they unite the divided community around them. Tonight, Boone will speak from 5:30-6:30 p.m. in the Foster Ballroom on the second floor of the Colvard Student Union. Immediately following the speech, the audience can meet and speak with Boone. The final event of the evening at 7 p.m. will be the showing of “Remember the Titans.”
Tucker Nash, director of the Student Association Speakers Committee, said Boone is a very relevant role model who many students can admire. 
“Coach Boone’s discussion can be a way to bring film to reality. Many people have seen the movie, but his discussion can inspire students to see the movie through a different perspective,” Nash said. “Boone can relate history to the movie and keep people fully engaged while doing it.”
Students have the opportunity to learn about history outside the classroom through speakers like Boone who have knowledge to offer to students. 
Camden Baker, co-director of the SA Outdoor and Film Committee, said Boone’s lecture is beneficial on multiple levels. 
Baker also said Boone can give students such gratefulness for their history and their present. On the other hand, MSU is a school that loves sports, and this movie highlights the unifying power that sports has. 
“One of my favorite scenes is when they are in the locker room joking around and singing and dancing. It takes me back to my high school days when I was on my football team. In ‘Remember the Titans,’ Whites and Blacks were unified through football,” Baker said. “They were finally a team. MSU can really understand how important it is for a team to be a team.”
Mary Gates Talbot, co-director of SA Outdoor and Film committee, said the speakers committee is a young program that is slowly growing. However, by putting on an event that combines a speaker and movie, people are more likely to respond positively. 
“Movies bring people together. People understand that ‘Remember the Titans’ was based on a true story, but to see the person who went through all of the things depicted in the movie brings it to another level,” Talbot said. “I am also very interested to see how close the movie is to his reality.”