Residence hall to be dedicated to Calif., couple, alumnus

South Hall will be publicly dedicated at a ceremony in honor of 1962 Mississippi State University aerospace engineering graduate Niles Moseley and his wife, Mary Lyn Moseley, of Los Altos, Calif.
The residence hall’s official name will be Mary Lyn Moseley and Niles R. Moseley Residence Hall.
The dedication will take place Thursday at 2 p.m outside of the residence hall formerly known as South Hall at 55 Magruder St.
The dedication will feature speakers including MSU President Mark Keenum; Bill Kibler, vice president of student affairs; John P. Rush, vice president for development and alumni and Michael Hogan, Student Association president.
Rev. Chip Stevens of Starkville’s First Baptist Church will give the invocation.
The Moseleys have made contributions to MSU for a number of years, including projects such as the renovation of McCain Hall and Moseley Plaza, an area of green space featuring a fountain between Simrall Electrical Engineering Building and the John C. Stennis Institute of Government.
The couple also donated $3.15 million toward the establishment of the Mary Lyn and Dr. Niles R. Moseley Promise Support Fund, which supports scholarships and counseling services of the MSU Promise Program.
Sid Salter, director of University Relations, said the Moseleys are invested in the MSU Promise Program, which was created to assist freshmen and community college transfer students who come to MSU from low-income families and enroll.
“That’s something that the Moseleys have a very keen interest in, providing opportunities for first-time college students who are the first in their families to attend and those from low-income backgrounds to help give them a solid start,” he said.
Salter said even though Niles Moseley is an MSU graduate, he has not returned to MSU’s campus since he graduated.
“There’s a tremendous amount of change here on campus and growth that he’s never seen, and I think he’s excited about seeing the campus all these many years later,” he said.
Niles Moseley, a Mississippi native, was a member of Kappa Alpha Order during his time at MSU and he went on to earn a master’s degree in electrical engineering from Rice University and a doctorate degree from Stanford University, also in electrical engineering.
Although retired now, Niles Moseley worked as a broker with Moseley Investments and Real Estate. Mary Lyn Moseley was educated as a nurse and currently works as a flight attendant for United Airlines on select international flights.