Fifth annual Maroon Edition book selected

Mississippi State University announced “Physics for Future Presidents” by Richard A. Muller as the fifth book in the Maroon Edition program on April 8.
Muller is a physics professor at University of California, Berkeley as well as a Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Scientist.
In 1982, Muller was presented with a MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, an honor known as the “genius grant.”
“Physics for Future Presidents” covers a range of topics that future presidents of the United States will face, as well as other future leaders. 
Muller’s book addresses the science behind topic areas including, energy, specifically oil, coal and solar power; nuclear weapons, nuclear plants, space exploration, particularly exploration, spy satellites and GPS systems and global warming.
Linda Morse, professor of educational psychology, said Muller’s book is based on course material from his course for non-science majors and covers a variety of subjects throughout its 384 pages.
“The book came out of lectures he did for his students at Berkley and so you could read one chapter, you could read many chapters. I hope you will read all of them,” she said. “They are very interesting discussions of the physics involved in particular situations.”
A committee of faculty, the Maroon Edition Committee, selects the Maroon Edition book after reading each potential option to make a choice to benefit MSU students.
Morse said this year’s book was chosen because of the leadership roles she thinks MSU students will pursue after leaving the university.
She said as future leaders and informed citizens students can read “Physics for Future Presidents” in preparation for dealing with and understanding problems facing our country and the world.
“This particular book, while it says ‘Physics for Future Presidents,’ is really about issues in the world today that an informed citizen should know,” she said.  “And of course, our students are the leaders of tomorrow, so we felt like it was something a little bit different.”
Morse also said although details still need to be worked out, Muller has agreed to visit campus in the fall in coordination with the selection of his book for the Maroon Edition program.
All incoming freshmen who attend orientation in the summer will receive a copy of “Physics for Future Presidents,” and the book will also be available for purchase at the Barnes & Noble at Mississippi State bookstore.