Lyceum Concert celebrates blend of blues, African music

The second event in Mississippi State University’s 2013 Lyceum Series will be held Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium.
Amelia Treptow, program coordinator of the Lyceum Series, said she thinks this concert in particular will bring something new for the students.
“I think it will be fantastic,” Treptow said.  “This is the one I’m looking forward to the most, and it’ll be nice for a lot of the students to come out and support the event.”
The concert will feature the two musical guests Eric Bibb and Habib Koite.
Eric Bibb is a blues musician from New York.  In 2008, Bibb was nominated for a Grammy and was also nominated for the Acoustic Artist of the Year by the Blues Music Awards.
During the concert, well-known African musician, Habib Koite, will join forces and blend together the rhythmic sounds of both their guitars and voices.
Treptow said she looks forward to the two musical artists coming together.
“They are very interesting and it is a good mixture of the two together,” she said.
Those attending the event must enter and exit only through the east side doors closest to McCain Hall.
General admission for the public is $18 and free for students with an ID present.
Treptow said she hopes many students get involved with the concert.
“We’re always looking for student involvement and having good relations with the community to provide them service and entirety,” Treptow said. “I think it will be a really unique performance and something different than what most students would generally hear on the radio.”