Millennials provide more societal benefits than stereotypes suggest

Millennials have a bad rap, and it is not hard to see why. They are considered politically incompetent, lazy, impatient and overly sensitive. They graduate with supposedly useless college degrees, and they are on their phones too much.

A common belief system that has developed among older Americans is thinking that the early 1900s was the golden age of America because “it was just better back then.” However, I beg to differ. 

I am not totally confident in what caused the generational drift and divide between millennials and older generations. I can say, however, that the stereotyping of millennials is very off-putting—and the stereotypes are just plain wrong. 

A 2014 article from forbes.com states that millennials are actually some of the hardest-working, most efficient members of the workforce and are also some of the best communicators. 

Millenials have better communication skills due to the technological and social media advances our generation has grown up learning to use.

The article states millennials do not desire to be CEO’s straight out of college the way they are often portrayed and most are willing to work their way up. 

Millennials also value the way their jobs impact our world and are the most diverse generation in the history of the United States. Members of this generation not only embrace change and diversity in the work place; they expect it.

There is no doubt that our generation has its flaws. However, every generation has had its mess-ups, flaws and reasons to lack motivation; every generation has included some politically entitled youths and overly sensitive, so-called crybabies. 

Why do we focus so much on the flaws of our millennial generation while blatantly ignoring the flaws other generations  have possessed? 

Is it because the older generations are not sure of what to think of young adults who think for themselves? Or is it the plain and simple fact that humans do not like change and are not sure how to deal with traditions and rules being broken?

Businessinsider.com published an article discussing TIME Magazine writer Joel Stein’s bold statement that millennials will “save us all.” While we all know that realistically, one comparatively small group of people cannot save humanity, we also know that some groups are more beneficial to the progression of the human race than others. Like Joel Stein, I think that group is the  millennials generation. 

Stein’s article stated that millennials are the most adaptable and creative generation in American history because of the circumstances they have  grown up in.

Millennials witnessed the aftershock of the great recession, and were taught in an education system Stein believes was built to destroy its students. Millenials have also experienced the rapid technological advances that will forever change the way we live and work. 

Based on these things, we expect a future full of unpredictability—and have thus become more adaptive, intuitive and creative when it comes to surviving in a rebounding economy.

Many millennials believe they can change the world, and I do, too. Regardless of the misconceptions other generations have about us, there is no way to deny the benefits we bring society. The unique, innovative ideas and drive for change millennials possess have the potential to be revolutionary. It is only harmful to society as a whole if other generations continue to discourage us.

The next time someone tries to tear you down as a millennial, remember the ways we benefit the world with our boldness, technological aptitudes and willingness to challenge tradition—all for the sake of changing the world for the better.