Letter to the Editor

Thank you for your interest and support this election season! I am overwhelmed by the encouragement that has come from across campus, from the people with whom I interact daily to those whom I have been fortunate enough to meet throughout this process. Each of your kind words inspired me to work harder during these past two weeks.

I am running for the position of SA President because I am passionate about making your ideas a reality. As a leader, I strive to practice servant leadership, and I believe that this makes me a unique candidate. This is a bottom–up style of leadership where the President works actively to seek out every student’s ideas and work to see them to fruition. I have relentlessly defended and practiced these doctrines as Vice President this year, and I promise to continue to do so if elected as your President. I have tirelessly used the relationships that I have developed with faculty, staff and administrators to better every student’s experience at Mississippi State. These relationships are an important defining point in this campaign.

The ideas I have offered during the campaign—such as fighting to keep Bulldog Bash in a student friendly location and fix the athletic ticket transfer system—are just some of ideas on which I believe we need to capitalize. In addition, I know by working with all students across campus, regardless of involvement level, we can bridge the invisible gap that seemingly exists between the SA and everyday students. We can open the floor to a discussion of the needs and concerns across campus, from the HCDC to Greek Row. Every single voice deserves to be heard, and I vow to always listen.  

The SA has impacted our student body tremendously, from providing over $56,000 in scholarships to bringing world-class speakers like Condoleezza Rice, Mitt Romney and Buzz Aldrin to campus; indeed, the opportunities the SA can provide students are endless. On Feb 2, with your support, I plan to continue to build on this legacy of excellence, while being realistic about the changes we need to make.

I hope that no matter the outcome, my platform serves as an avenue by which new ideas, interest and input to the Student Association blossoms. I ask that you, the student body, hold the SA accountable for every promise made during the campaign, whomever the president may be.  If entrusted with this honor, I will ensure that everyone is involved in the decisions we make as a student body, but I can only do that with your support.

Forever in Maroon and White, 

Roxie Raven