Jersey craze takes center stage

Believe it or not, I had never watched “Jersey Shore” before. I knew it was a global phenomenon. I was familiar with the characters and their famous nicknames, although I had never seen a single scene. I understood that it had become popular to speak in a Jersey accent, to do hair in a form of “the poof,” to fist pump whenever the opportunity presented itself and to get a massive, fake, orange tan.
I became aware that the show basically invented the terms “smoosh” and “grenade.” I accepted the fact that I moved in with a “Jersey Shore” obsessed roommate, and on Jan. 6, 2011, I succumbed and tuned in to the Season Three premiere.
My first thought was that I was impressed for already having an idea of what was going to happen over the next 60 minutes. Without having ever watched an episode, I had still heard about all of the drama that had happened in the previous two seasons. I knew there was some major unfinished business between Sammi (“Sweetheart”), Snooki, and Jenni (“JWOWW”). I was aware that Sammi and Ronnie is the show’s couple, but there is some drama to be had. Pitifully enough, for some reason I already felt like I wanted Snooki and Vinny to be together. And I knew that some stuff was about to go down.
Although it has been popular for quite some time, I had never given in; I never thought I would. I regret to say I judged some of the people who were obsessed. I would not go as far as to say that I am one of those passionate fans, but I can definitely see what all the excitement is about. And I will not lie. They play some pretty good music on this show.
I will admit that I got pretty into watching my first “Jersey Shore” episode. I even went as far as to conform and set some of the drama as my Facebook status. 
Since “Jersey Shore” became popular, a multitude of Jersey trends and shows have followed.
One of the spin-off shows titled “Jersey Couture” aired on Oxygenon June 1, 2010, almost one year after “Jersey Shore.”
Another, entitled “Jerseylicious,” began airing on the Style Networkon March 11, 2010. It follows the personal and professional lives of the Gatsby Salon staff.
I have not watched either of these shows and I do not plan on it. However, it fascinates me that the world seemingly has become so obsessed with any and every form of Jersey.
According to the New York Post, the highest paid cast members on “Jersey Shore” are Snooki, “The Situation,” Pauly D, and “JWOWW.” Their season payroll per episode was $5,000 (Season One), $10,000 (Season Two) and now $30,000 (Season Three).
These four are also infamous for charging thousands of dollars to appear at public or private events. Not to mention the book deals, the personalized cologne and their appearances in ads bring them some major dough.
Apparently, the rest of the Shore cast mates are paid quite a bit less.
Besides getting paid their cut per episode for the seasons, many of the stars also get paid outside of the show. Pauly D, the notorious disc jockey, is said to receive as much as $40,000 a gig. “The Situation” has released numerous fitness DVDs due to his ripped body and intense workout schedule. And “JWOWW” even went as far as to be featured in numerous photos for Playboy.
I believe it is absolutely ridiculous that these “stars” get paid as much as they do. But is it worth making them rich just to have the privilege to watch overly-dramatic reality television?
  Yes. Yes it is.
Becca Horton is a freshman majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected].