Taylor Swift concert leaves parent angry

Girls love her because her lyrics and melodies speak directly to them. Boys love her because she’s beautiful and “the un-gettable get.” And parents even love her, too. People who say they don’t love her are only kidding themselves. Taylor Swift is a gift to us all.
As I sat in Perry Cafeteria merely contemplating this article, “You Belong with Me” came on over the speakers. And then I just couldn’t resist.
Swift is a superhuman, super-singer who has graced us with her presence since 2006, when her hit titled “Tim McGraw” hit the charts. Since then she has won 88 awards (nominated for 146), acted in “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” and a few movies and has definitely become a swift success.
She is also one of the beautiful faces of the CoverGirl brand. She is one of the two country singers (the other being Carrie Underwood) to be featured on both the top country and top pop charts.
She’s the Christmas gift you never get sick of. And I’m not ashamed to admit I am a little bit obsessed.
I, and so many others, have come to appreciate the “girl power” message the singer projects, and I believe she is a role model for younger girls, especially younger girls who get their hearts broken or girls who dream of being singers themselves. I could classify her as “America’s Sweetheart” and stand by that classification 100 percent.
If I were to attend one of Taylor Swift’s concerts, I have complete faith it would be an experience I would not soon forget.
I recently read an article written by Andrea Lampros, entitled “Parent Regrets: Why I Wish We Never Had Gone to See Taylor Swift.”
To make a long story short, this parent (a mother, if you must know) had gone to a Taylor Swift concert with her husband and two children. Not only did she not enjoy Swift and all her glory at the concert (which, according to her, contained too much fluff), but she also included other situations at the concert that she disliked. I recall this woman complaining about ticket prices, lengthy lines and noisy fans. She then proceeded to blame these issues on the singer herself.
Give me a break, Andrea.
How many concerts has this woman even been to? Loud, screaming crowds at concerts are obviously not a rarity. The disasters going on around this woman cannot possibly be blamed on Swift.
When the woman stated the concert contained too much “fluff,” she was referring to the dance numbers, costumes and fireworks taking place on the stage. She reasoned that all these things overshadowed Taylor Swift’s voice and did not quite let her talent shine through. This may be true, but if I paid as much money as this parent did for tickets, I know I’d want to see a good show. But hold on. Let me get this straight:  Taylor Swift is a performer. And this woman is mad at her for what? Performing?
Lampros also stated she strongly disliked that there were CoverGirl representatives giving girls makeovers; she complained this suggested the girls weren’t already beautiful. (Keep in mind Swift’s a spokesperson for the brand.) I remember when I was a little girl, all I wanted to do was GET makeovers.
Believe me, these fan-daughters have no problem. Lampros is exposing the fact that she might not even be proud of her own daughter’s appearance.
I remind myself that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. And I’m about to offer mine: if you don’t like Taylor Swift’s concert, give the tickets to someone who does. I’m always available to see my girl rock a show.
Becca Horton is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected]